Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Can't see the pic. Two common types of worms in tanks: nematodes look like fine hairs that swim when substrate is disturbed. Planaria look like tiny clear slugs on the glass that slide along. Neither hurt the fish or make them timid. Both can be eradicated by regular substrate vacuuming and tank maintenance.

How new is the tank? What species do you have? What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello sorry for the late response, the tank is stocked with a pair of German Blue Rams, and I've also notice some in one of the fry GBR tanks. I've uploaded a video of them, I can get the other information if needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like a detritus worm to me. I'm surprised your rams don't gobble them up. Someone else my know to a T what you have there but if it was my observation I'd call it detritus worms. Harmless, live snack, usually found in substrate with some build up. All my planted tanks have them in fact I regularly scoop them out of my plant only 20 (it has thousands)to feed several of my tang tanks. Julidochromis Trans, Puncs, and Buescheri eat them like rabid dogs. Vacuum your substrate more often, feed less (obviously you've got live food already) honestly though they are helping your system consume the left over organics.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Nematodes and they are harmless and thrive on waste in the aquarium. Thorough and regular vacuuming of your substrate will get rid of them and try feeding your fish less.

If you had live plants I'd say it would be hard to get rid of them...but otherwise a one-time cleanup and routine maintenance will be effective.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Look for debris under your sponge filters, fake plants and any other items in the tank. Remove what they live on and they will die off. I've had them in bare bottom tanks as well. For me there was no substrate, but there was still a little drift of debris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.