Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find videos or pictures with people who use wood roots in their african cichlid tank. It doesn't seem to be very popular. I see more often drift wood being used. Is there a particular reason why more are not using wood roots? I personally like the look of them because they stem and decorate the upper portion of the tank. Also, readily available at my LFS.

I currently have lace rock in the tank and want to add the wood roots.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would encourage you to use them if you like them. For me there is a bit of different thinking going on. A lot of it is what we think of as natural looking. I know that most of my African cichlids are rock lovers. They are not as much in love with wood. I currently have small yellow labs and Hongi in a tank with small rainbow cichlids. They are not the same but they don't know it and I'm needing the space. The rainbow were there first and the Africans added later. The slab of limestone was the hideout for the rainbow but now the African guys have claimed it. It just seems the CA/SA types are more prone to use the wood and give up the rocks.

Something to be aware of is the way wood may/may not change your PH. It will not change PH when the GH/KH is high but may if these are not high enough to buffer the changes.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I agree the biotope for the Rift Lakes would be more rocks/sand. When I think of roots I think of new world cichlids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts