Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nearing completion of 2 wood canopies, one for my 90gal and one for my 55gal. My question is in regards to sealing the inside of the canopy. This area will see the most moisture contact and I want to try and limit warping as much as possible. What do the experts on here recommend sealing it with. I was thinking of maybe an external paint (like you would put on your house) or maybe some kind of sealer/stain or varnish.

Alas I am no expert and desperately need advice as I want to close the book on this project.

When finally done I will post some pics.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
For my hoods I used 2 coats of Kilz primer and 2 coats of quaility exterior grade high gloss white. It helps reflect more light back down into the tank and has held up very well to moisture. As a matter of fact I had to make brackets to hold my cold cathodes in place because both hot glue and stickyback velcro won't stay attached to the paint job very long. It's very smooth and hard.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet thanks, I had been thinking of painting white all along for the exact same reasons you mention. That Kilz is great stuff, actually have some of it laying around so I wont need to buy any. For the exterior paint, I am assuming a latex version will suffice. Or is there another type like enamel (sorry if this doesnt even exist-dont know much about paint types).

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I am just finishing up my second one myself! 6'x2'... I used the Kilz and the 2 coats of Kylon's white Acrylic Latex Enamel... benifits of a hard enamel coating but still water clean-up :thumb:
The first one I used an aerosol can gloss white appliance enamel HERE

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I cant wait for this project to be done. Oh yeah, by the way Hoosier...I hijacked your lighting idea in the post you linked. I saw the thread a while ago and thought it was a great idea, cheap and efficient.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Use a quality wood sealer/primer as a base. The rest is personal preference. Hope the project turns out great.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Awugod said:
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I cant wait for this project to be done. Oh yeah, by the way Hoosier...I hijacked your lighting idea in the post you linked. I saw the thread a while ago and thought it was a great idea, cheap and efficient.
Good to hear! Thats why I posted to share with others here :thumb:
This canopy I am finishing will have the same lighting, probably 6 PC bulbs this time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts