Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
woke up this morning to find one of my female peacocks dead in my hospital tank. she had some sort of illness that i was attempting to treat but i wasnt sure exactly what the illness was. i have two other females that i also have in my hospital tank because they are also showing signs that they might have the same thing. i took some pictures of my poor girl and was hoping some one could tell me whats wrong and how i can treat my other girls before its too late. checked all my levels in my both tanks and they are fine. no other fish in main tank showing any signs of illness

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your fish

There's very little to be learned from a picture of a dead fish--appreciate the effort though.
What would be helpful is if you could tell me what symptoms you observed in the weeks leading up to the death. From first to last.
Also: what are the tank parameters, ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
How long has the tank been set up?
How long have you had these particular fish?
How many and what species of fish live in the tank?
What did you use for a treatment?

Right now:
Do a 30%partial water change using a good quality dechlorinator, wait a few hours and do another 30% partial water change and siphon the gravel.

Robin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there werent really alot of symptoms other than not being very active and the stange growth that you can kind of see in the picture. all three were still still eating. as for my water parameters ph - 8.2, ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate 10

the tank has been set up for 5 months. it is a 35 gallon grow out tank dimensions 35x12.5x22. in the tank i have 1m-5f(now 4) eureka peacocks all 1-2 inches (had 3 in 10 gallon hospital, now only 2 :( ) and 1 female red empress 2.5 inches. *** had these peacocks for just over a month now.

for treatment i first tried using melafix. after a couple days when i noticed that it hadnt made any difference i did a 50% water change and tried using aquarium salt like my lfs said. i did a 30% water change while waiting for a response lol

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I can't see the strange growth, can you describe it?

Was the fish eating right up until the day it died?
Not very active: sitting on the bottom? Hanging at the top? Hiding behind/inside things? Gasping/breathing harder than normal?

Do the still living fish seem to improve at all directly after a 30% partial water change?

Robin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the growth started out looking like some small pimples on her right cheek. then the whole cheek went redf and it started to spread under her chin. in the picture you can see the red area. that the whole area that was all infected n such. she was just hanging out at the back of the tank facing my backround picture for two days. but she ate right up till the night before she died.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i contacted my lfs and they said that it might be a fungal infection and recommended picking up some Fungal Eliminator by Jungle. so im gonna pick some up tomorrow and cross my fingers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all three peacocks that were infected are now dead :( guess we will never know what was wrong with them

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I'm sorry you lost them, wilsonj88.

I don't think it was parasites but it could have been either fungal or bacterial.
For your remaining fish:
over the next several weeks watch them closely for any suspicous symptoms, lethargy, not eating, growths, un-natural color, etc. And do some extra partial water changes, every other day or every few days. 30% using a good quality dechlorinator.

Again, sorry they didn't make it.

Robin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys. so i ended up losing the my last two female peacocks. seems to be the same deal. still cant figure out what is wrong with them. my water perameters are fine. moer of those strange pimple like growths. cant find ANYTHING online that is similare. And now my adult male empress is infected! he's my baby and i dont want to lose him. i jsut started a treatment of meracyn and meracyn 2. somebody please help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts