Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Blue Lips hides behind the rocks when it is time to eat. He shows zero interest in pellets. The only thing he seems to like are algae wafers. All of my other fish attack their food except him. Has anybody else experienced something similar?

·
Registered
449 Posts
My experience has been that when they get hungry enough, they will eat. I have a female Astatatalapia Latisfasciata that hid for over a month, did not eat and was not holding, one day she got over it and is now the first to the surface at feeding time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up some veggie rounds which seem to be a more complete diet. I just toss one of those in when feeding pellets to the other hungry little vacuum cleaners, and he feeds off of that while they eat their pellets. He shows zero interest in the pellets.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Rather weird, as most Malawi cichlids are hardly picky.

Could the Williamsi just be scared of competing with the other fish? Does he swim around with the otehr fish at any time?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He acts perfectly normal, but just won't compete for pellets like all the rest. Oh well, that just makes him a little quirky, but he is cool so I will deal with his behavior.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have fish who will eat floating pellets and fish who do not. Some who will eat the sinking pellets and some that will not.

I think if they're hungry enough though, they will eat whatever you put in there, and therein lies the quandary; do you give them what they want, or do you make them eat what you're giving them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you recently just added the Williamsi? If so was that the only fish you added at the time and did you rearrange the tank some?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He was added about 3 months ago with 3 others. He just never showed an interest in pellets when all the others were eating. He would even swim past a pellet on a rare occasion when one made it all the way to the bottom of the tank. After a few days of watching him not eat a thing, I picked up some algae wafers and he went crazy over them. I have since purchased some veggie rounds since it seemed like a more complete diet since all my fish loved the wafers. I wanted to make sure that my haps and peacocks were getting proper nutrition. I have since added Repashy Soilent Green to their diet as well. Everybody still gets pellets each morning, but I supplement with a veggie round or some Repashy just to make sure the Blue Lips gets some food. I don't mind, whatever it takes to make sure they are all fed and happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts