Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 79g aquarium with the dimensions of 47.5x18.5x21. It has two rena filstar xp3's underneath for filtration.

all males
I want to add
1x red empress
1x fryeri
2x yellow labs
1x c. Afra jalo reef
6x different kinds of peacocks
3x different color ob peacocks
and one sailfin pleco

Is this too many fish?

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Is it a bowfront? If yes, what is the measurement on the sides?

I don't think it is too many fish (if the tank is 18" or more on the sides) but I'd probably leave out the afra and increase the number of labs instead.

Or I'd do one male for the afra and lab and not do the multiple labs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd say there are no responses because people are really gunshy to give anyone the OK on a mixed mbuna/peacock tank. It could definitely work with the height you have to let the peacocks have room from the mbuna in the rocks on the bottom but you could be posting here in a week with a horror story about how all of your (expensive) peacocks got shredded. I think if you do it you have to add the majority of your fish at once because there will be a pretty serious hierarchy of dominance. I've never mixed them but my LFS does, usually a mbuna that is just a little (10-20%) smaller than the hap/peacocks butt heads but don't injure eachother. Good luck and post pics please!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it is not a bowfront, it is an acrylic seamless tank made by JEBO. It is 18.5 inches wide all the way across.

I would rather leave the jalo reef out and do the labs
The two labs that would be going in are both 5" huge male yellow labs that I already have but have not met yet. If i was to add more yellow labs should I add females or stick with males?

Do you think the OB peacocks be aggressive towards eachother? I have a blueberry, a yellow one and a red one.

I actually already have all the fish listed, they are not in the tank yet though , i just want to make sure I would not be overstocking

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
You can never tell with an all-male tank who will be aggressive to whom. That's why it is a good idea to have spare tanks and realize up front you may have to give up your favorite fish. :(

I would add only one of the labs. But I hate removing fish, so no problem trying it if you don't mind.

I have two male borleyi in my tank (long story) and for the first 24 hours (LOL) they are ignoring each other. On the other hand my peacocks are chasing relentlessly and the obliq has a real hatred for the BN. :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your responses DJRansome and JcarrVT. I don't have a good camera unfortunately. I will add everyone on my list at once and see what happens i guess lol, I have over ten quarantine tanks at my disposal for any overly aggressive fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.