42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6-juli corys
2-cockatoo apistos
1-bristlenose pleco
1-firemouth cichlid
1-angelfish
1-bolivian or gold ram
1-Geophagus balzanii (this is what i dont know about) if it wont work then a blood parrot will take it's place.
it'll be soooooooooooo cool if this all would work out, but im new with cichlids and even though none are really that aggressive and aqadvisor says it'd be ok i want a cichlid expert.

·
Registered
243 Posts
not sure about your geo but rams should be kept in groups really. They are a social fish. Hopefully some one else can help more.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
G'day allaboutfish1996,

The Firemouth will be too aggressive for the apistos.

The Balzani needs a winter period and should be kept in a species only tank, or a Uruguayan tank.

The Blood Parrot will be even worse than the Firemouth, and has no Business being kept with SA cichlids.

What type of tank do you want to set up?

Can you also tell us about your setup. What equipment you are using, what is the substrate, how is the tank decorated. Also what is your waters PH.

Have you explored the Library here at C-F? It has lots of good articles about lots of different things. One place you might like to start is the Cookie Cutter setups for a 55 gallon tank.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_55g.php

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually blood parrots are not aggressive at all and cant hram a fish bc of it's small deformed mouth you might be thinking of the parrot cichlid.
actually im doing one of these
6-juli corys
2-cockatoo apistos
1-angelfish
1-blood parrot
1-bolivian ram
1-albino britlenose pleco
1-pearl gourami

or

6-juli corys
2-cockatoo apistos
1-angelfish
1-blood parrot
1-albino bristlenose pleco
1-blugill sunfish

both of the setups should work i just have to pick.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'm sorry allaboutfish1996 could you please watch the following videos and tell me again that blood parrots are not aggressive.

Blood parrots can be aggressive. Just because it can not close it's mouth, does not mean it can not inflict damage.

Cichlids are "relatively" peacefull as juveniles, but once they reach sexual maturity, they kick it up a few notches. When we keep cichlids in a community setting we try and reach a balance amongst the different species, in essence matching species with similar aggression levels, and in the same "wieght class" so to speak.

My opinion is that the Blood parrot and the firemouth do not belong in the same tank as the other cichlids. You asked for other peoples thoughts, well these are mine. At the end of the day they are your fish to do with as you please.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
video 1- seemed to me like it was a pair against pair defending territory.

video 2-that's how blood parrots spawn.

video 3-it even says theyre spawning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
allaboutfish1996
You asked for peoples opinions. If they have different experiences to you just respect that. Profiles tell me things but *** learnt that individual fish can be the complete opposite. I have a bgk that is the most active thing i own and a full grown gt Thats scared of Danios lol. I suggest not keeping rams individually as from experience they dont do well. If you dont agree with DeadFishFloating then Thats fine to but respect his experiences dont try to prove him wrong. And if you know about the fish you want why ask in the first place. We are all hear to learn and share knowledge, lets try and play nice :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how about this
6-juli corys
6-green fire tetras
2-dwarf gouramis
2-cockatoo apistos
1-angelfish
1-parrot cichlid

·
Registered
264 Posts
Blood parrots get pretty big and I don't think that a standard 29 gallon tank would be long enough. Have you cycled the 55 gallon tank yet? If you do a fishless cycle, you can add your whole stock list at once as juveniles. That would give you a better chance of the tanks inhabitants getting along with each other.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the 29 gallon has about 4 of these fish 2-apistos and 2-corys tha 55 gallon i wont get until around june 4th, and ill be using the filter and all the substrate from my 29 gallon plus some new black sand over the sand in the 29. could i really add the whole stock list at once? i thought that would cause a huge mini cycle.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
allaboutfish1996 said:
how about this
6-juli corys
6-green fire tetras
2-dwarf gouramis
2-cockatoo apistos
1-angelfish
1-parrot cichlid
Hi allaboutfish1996,

I think the list above looks pretty good. As you noted, the concern would be the Blood parrot. However, I have seen temperaments from extremely peaceful to as aggressive as a red devil with these guys. So you will just have to try it out. Personally I think a 29g is fine for a single blood parrot, so you have a backup plan if the blood parrot starts to get "too" aggressive towards the angle. I have not kept green fire tetras, but their body shape looks pretty slim (i.e. easily eaten). You other choices of white skirts and bleeding hearts are much better options. My 10 inch Geo lives with skirt tetras and during feeding time will lunge at them, but they turn sideways and sprint off as a defense to his attacks.

As for cycling the new tank, just get a test kit (API liquid drop master test kit) set up the new tank with the stuff and fish from the 29g and test the water. If there is ammonia or nitrite add prime and do water changes every other day until it is cycled. Then you can start adding your new fish. Make sure to continue to test you water after you add new fish to identify a mini cycle.

Keep us posted with pictures when you set it up.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmmm now to decide between the skirts and bleeding heart. ill decide when i pick an angel. i have an api master kit already and prime so looks like im set to go. ill definently post pics once thise is setup.

·
Registered
264 Posts
could i really add the whole stock list at once? i thought that would cause a huge mini cycle.
No. With the way you are going about doing it, which is actually a great way to do it, you would just move all of the contents of the 29 gallon, including the water, live stock, filter and decorations, to the 55 gallon and you should not experience a cycle. Then you would want to add a few new fish every couple of weeks, while using a test kit to check on your waters parameters.

I had suggested doing a fishless cycle which is where you set up a new tank and dechlorinate the water. Then add enough ammonia to the water, which is usually used as a household disinfectant, to bring the ammonia, as measured by a test kit, up to about 3 ppm. Fishless cycling is all the rage these days. I just completed my first fishless cycle about a month ago and it works great. When you do a fishless cycle you add much more ammonia than would be possible in a traditional cycle using fish. The bacteria which consume the ammonia form a balance in proportion to the amount of ammonia that is produced in the aquarium. Because you are able to add much more ammonia when you do not have any tank inhabitants and build up a large bio-filter in proportion to the amount of ammonia, you can then add the whole stock list at the same time. Maybe you can do a fishless cycle on the 29 gallon after you empty its contents into the 55.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts