Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 75g rectangular tank.

I just stocked it with 15 Demasoni, 6 Yellow Labs, 6 Acei's. I also have some other stragglers, Ruby Red, German Red Peacock, Cobalt Blue and Socolofi, left over from my previous stock list.

Do you think the mix would still be ok if I added the Cynotilapia afra OB's??

I plan to end up with just the Dem's, Yellow Lab's, Acei's and the Cyno's if that works.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It should be okay, but I would do as you say and remove the "stragglers". :thumb:

OB afra? Any chance of pics?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
So, what does everyone think?

Is the fish pictured in the link above a cross between a Cynotilapia and something else, or two different Cynotilapia???

Or is this another one of those things we'll never be sure of?

I asked Larry Johnson to look at the link, he said they are cropping up all over the place, just not in the Lake Malawi!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
So, what does everyone think?

Is the fish pictured in the link above a cross between a Cynotilapia and something else, or two different Cynotilapia???
Something else, likely from the Zebra-complex like the blueberry.
Or is this another one of those things we'll never be sure of?
Might not be sure of what, but I know what it isn't, another Cynotilapia.

I asked Larry Johnson to look at the link, he said they are cropping up all over the place, just not in the Lake Malawi!
Yep, I saw them the first time about three years ago. They looked nice, but I had not heard of them. I was disappointed when I found out they were not natural.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The blueberry zebra was my first thought, as well...

I've not seen them in any LFS in our area, but I'd really like to see them in person.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
When you say rectangular tank, what are the dimensions?

Indeed Cyno afra OB are hybrids. They really shouldn't be called Cynotilapia afra, as that denotes a proper species, though I'm not certain what you'd call them.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Also, what would be the expected behavior of the "afra OB"s? It is one of those things where there is no "known" behaviors - being hybrids, they could be overly aggressive. :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That link no longer works...

I think it's a very nice looking fish, though. I wouldn't have any problem at all with having a male in an all male tank, it's just not something I would want to breed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way. I don't mean any harm to that particular vendor. My experience buying from them has been great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
495 Posts
IMO that vendor harmed themselves saying the fish occurs in the wild... I know it was just a general write up for all afra's. But dont copy and paste it, if it doesn't apply to the fish! Im glad they wouldnt ship to canada now!
PS(mods) we need work on the reviews for the canadian mail order section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts