Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am setting up a 6'x2'x2' 180 gallon tank with peacocks etc. it has glass tops. I want really good lighting but dont want to break the bank. a guy has a used pfo vho lighting system thats 11 inches wide by 4 feet long, so 2 feet of my tank wont have the light directly on it (1 foot on each end) BUT it is 440 wats of light. its only $100. will i be happy with this? will it bring out the colours of the fish?)

any other suggestions?

·
Banned
406 Posts
I would think 440W is a little overkill. :lol:

·
Banned
406 Posts
Couldn't tell you I've never had that light....but from everything I've read it's a little much for cichlids / peacocks.

I'm using a 4ft double flouro with a 10k bulb and a 420 actinic bulb and my peacocks / yellow labs look great. I bought the shop light at homedepot for $20 and bulbs for under $30.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a 6' tank with 4' bulbs... due to cost of 6' lighting setups.

I think I would find 440 watts far too bright.

I have no idea what color PFO is.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Its not the 72" that is important but rather the 24" in height. 440W will act differently in 24" when compared to 22" or 18".

I use (4)96W , 10k and atinic combo, inna 29" tank and it is just okay. Gonna add two more 96W kits of 10K for 576W of lighting.

The fact that the kit being used has a mix of 10k and actinic should take some of the bite out. Are you able to switch two on at a time?

·
Banned
406 Posts
My tanks 26" high and my dual lights are perfect for me. I couldnt even imagine 400-600w on it. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
^^ I just parted with a 155 bow that had (4)96W compact flourescents. By all means it was not overlit, be sure of it. That tank was 72" L and 25" H so it was 1 inch less in height than yours.

What length tank do you have at 26" in height, was it custom built?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts