Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether the credenza in the photo below can hold a 125 gallon tank with a total weight of about 1,500 pounds. It is a solid piece of furniture that has held a 75 gallon tank for years.

Structurally, the credenza looks strong. There are 1/2 inch plywood veneer side panels that run from the top to the floor (I think) on each end and a 1/2 inch plywood center internal panel that runs parallel to the end panels, also from the top to the floor. There are also beams that run along the front and back, just under the top deck, that connect the end and center panels. I have included pictures below. The one thing that bothers me is I can’t get underneath the credenza to look at it.

Like I said, it all looks sound but I need to be careful because the consequences could be disastrous. Thanks in advance for the help.

Full view:

Inside top right view:

View of inside center panel:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you have to ask...
Yeah, no idea, you'd have to judge for yourself and maybe get some second or third opinions.
You're looking at an extra 500-600lbs though.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You should get some other opinions but I think the dimensions of the credenza are in important factor in determining its suitability. For the weight to be optimally supported the perimeter of the tank needs to be resting directly on top of the walls of the credenza. In other words a 72 x 18 tank should rest on a surface that is supported at its base by a perimeter that is very close to 72 x 18.

The tank base shouldn't be much smaller than the credenza top (as your 75 gallon tank is) because then you risk flexion occurring on the cabinet's top causing uneven pressure on the tank base. Obviously if the tank base is bigger (even slightly) than the top of the credenza, the glass could flex slightly and disaster would probably be imminent.

To put it more succinctly, it's the walls of the cabinet, not the cabinet's top surface, that needs to be doing the work of directly supporting the tank weight.

Just my opinion and I hope it makes sense.

I would post this in the DIY section to get input from people who have more expertise on building cabinets.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Also, I would worry that the beams running the length are arranged on their width instead of their height (they arranged "_" instead of "I").
They can support more weight without buckling on their height.

kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies so far.

I should have stated the tank on the credenza in the picture is the 75 gallon. A 125 will cover the top except for about an inch on each end and the same in the front and back.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It looks like it would hold it*

*(legal mumbo jumbo about how I will not be held responsible if it doesn't) :p

Most things are stronger than we give them credit for, and stronger than they're rated for. Does the stand feel wobbly with the 75 on it? Like, if you push from the end, does it rock back and forth or is it rock solid? If it feels pretty solid, its probably strong enough.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
zimmy said:
The tank base shouldn't be much smaller than the credenza top (as your 75 gallon tank is) because then you risk flexion occurring on the cabinet's top causing uneven pressure on the tank base. [...] To put it more succinctly, it's the walls of the cabinet, not the cabinet's top surface, that needs to be doing the work of directly supporting the tank weight.
bighollowwaves said:
A 125 will cover the top except for about an inch on each end and the same in the front and back.
For the reasons stated by zimmy, I would have given the credenza a better chance of holding the 125G well than the 75G. When something is stacked directly on top of a piece of wood, the wood can support an enormous weight. When flexing occurs, that's when you have a problem. If the credenza had no problem with the 75G, which is a less than ideal size to be supported by the credenza walls, it should hold the 125G as well.

Of course if the credenza collapses under the 125G, I never said this :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts