Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spirulina flakes i have been feeding my musangas ran out yesterday and I went out to buy some today from the same company, but noticed that the ingredients have change a little bit. Was wondering if this might cause bloat since this is what i'm going to be feeding 2-3 times a day? I've been feeding them the Zoo Med aquatrol spirulina.

OLD ingredients: spirulina, ground whole wheat, whole fish meal, defatted soy meal, wheat flour, torula dried yeast,vital wheat gluten, fish oil, biophos, soy oil, lecithin, natural colors.

Min. crude protein.....40%
Min. crude fat.........6%
Max. crude fiber.......2%
Max. moisture.......8%

NEW ingredients: salmon fish meal, spirulina algae meal, soy flour, wheat flour, brewers dried yeast, corn starch, dried krill meal, shrimp meal, plankton meal, lecithin, vegetable oil, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate(stabilized vitamin C)

Min. crude protein.....45%
Min. crude fat.......4%
Max. crude fiber........3%
Max. moisture.......8%

Do i have anything to worry about? So far this is their main diet and they're slowly eating NLS cichlid pellets. Also feeding frozen krill once a week right before i do my WC..

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Interesting that the protein level is higher in the second formulation. Spirulina is about 60% protein. Fact of the matter is that most so called algae/spirulina foods are primarily fish meal. reading the ingredient list is the only way to make a judgement, as it is for the food we eat. That doesn't answer your question about whether it will cause bloat, but I do know some people who feed algae flakes whose first ingredient is fish/fish meal with no issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope so. I've fed them the new flakes 3 times already and they thrive for it.

I'm mixing the NLS with the flakes and hoping everything goes well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts