Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 110 gallon aquarium, and have decided to do my own styrofoam/concrete background. At my work, we do artificial stone making and have the right materials to make concrete look like any type of stone/rock.

The paint/die for the concrete that we use is a water based acrylic. Would this be safe to use in my aquarium (water based acrylic)? From what I was told, there is nothing else in the paint/die, it is just water based acrylic.

What do you guys think about this?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I have never heard 100% that any paint is safe in an aquarium. That said, I have read members here and there use Krylon (I think) to paint intakes and I know there is a paint provided with my in-tank backgrounds. But no brand...it is in a generic bottle.

Would not a water based paint be a bad thing to use in the water? I'd think a stain mixed into the concrete would be better, but I don't know what those are made of.

Maybe you could find suggestions if you search in the DIY forum?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
IMO you should do a small scale first in a smaller tank. Then buy a CHEAP $1.00 fish and see if it lives and test you parameters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I asked more questions about this sealer/color for the concrete, and I was told that it is safe for ponds.

Would there be any difference?

If it is safe enough to build ponds with, then I would assume it would be safe to use in my aquarium.

What do you guys think?

BTW: the 3d styrofoam background is turning out awesome so far :thumb:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
tjc348 said:
Ok, so I asked more questions about this sealer/color for the concrete, and I was told that it is safe for ponds.

Would there be any difference?

If it is safe enough to build ponds with, then I would assume it would be safe to use in my aquarium.

What do you guys think?

BTW: the 3d styrofoam background is turning out awesome so far :thumb:
When i bought my rocks for my 20g Long I asked, What do u use in Koi ponds? The worked said this and that's the one i GOT. So i am guessing it would be safe. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts