Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to list my community tank and please tell me the chances of these crossbreeding.

Group of Cyno. Afras
Group of Yellow Labs
Group of Msobos
1 Kenyi Female
1 unsexed Peacock
1 unsexed Maingano(likely male)

Who do I need to worry about?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Kenyi, Msobos and Yellow Labs, plus all the single fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
The kenyi and msobo may be the highest since they are both metriaclima.

OB peacocks are thought to be a mbuna/peacock cross so they are not out of the question.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks for the info. Atleast the Kenyi is female so if she's holding I know it's not pure.

Also how long does the spawning process usually take. I know they are hareem(sp) breeders and do not form pairs like other cichlids. I mean is it a multi day process or is it something would it could start and finish within an hour without showing any clues before or after that time frame?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The actual spawning takes place within an hour maybe, the only times I've seen it they were interrupted numerous times by the other fish - especially the cats! The shimmying/hole digging/aggression is normally through the roof the day around the spawn. If you watch them carefully, you'll see the egg tube drop on the female the day before. It's not always that obvious.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Although I've never seen it, I've heard that a female can have a few eggs fertilized by male A and a few eggs fertilized by male B. So if you keep species that easily cross, you'd have to witness the entire spawn (sometimes over 2 hours) to be sure the fry are what you think they are.

You have to be careful with any single males in a tank with other species breeding groups. Especially ones that are more dominant / aggressive (like your Melanochromis).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts