Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli) Royal, and can get some Protomelas taeniolatus (Red) Super Red Empress, but dont want cross breeding in my tank, will these cross breed?

what i have right now is several young, male/female mixes of:

RED FIN BORLEYI - COPADICHROMIS BORLEYI "KADANGO"

THE SLY FOX - FOSSOROCHROMIS ROSTRATUS

ALBINO BUSHYNOSE PLECO - ANCISTRUS SP.

FLAVESCENT PEACOCKS - AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "HAI REEF"

ELECTRIC YELLOWS LABIDOCHROMIS CAERULEUS

YELLOW BLAZE LITHOBATES - OTOPHARYNX LITHOBATES "ZIMBABWAE ROCKS"

LILULI SPILONOTUS - PROTOMELAS SP. SPILONOTUS TANZANIA"LILULI"

KYOGA FLAME BACKS - XYSTICHROMIS SP. KYOGA FLAME BACK

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yes, expect them to cross breed.

My guess is, not all of those species will breed because once some of the larger haps sexually mature, they will take things over and be pretty dominant.

I've bred Liuli in a 4ft tank and when the male wanted to spawn (and he was like a 17 year old boy) everyone else was in the far 12in of the tank.

Based on my experience, I am to the point where I believe - 4ft tank with breeding, 3-4 species that stay under 7in - 6ft breeding tank 4-6 species max if they are pretty close in size and temperament depending on size of the species...or go all male and have all the color.

I am sure (and hope) others will chime in with different views.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok not gonna get the empress, I will wait and see when they grow up if the bigger fish (liluli, and sly fox) will stop the smaller 6-7 inchers from breeding in my 180, if that's the case I will sell of the big boys. Any one have any suggestions for any other malawis (I no the kyogas are vics) that would go well in my peaceful 180 that are maybe not blue or red or yellow, some green, any other colour....

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Lethrinops & Tramitichromis species that get 6in plus will give more green and would fit in.

Tramitichromis sp. "Intermedius" is readily available, peaceful and males have a green/Teal shimmer to them.

Placidochromis johnstoni with the wider bars.

Copadichromis melas - straight up black.

Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" - Blue but the white spangling is just soooooo different than anything else.

Few that would work off the top of my head.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
How about Electras- the lilac tones with the black are very striking and contrast well with the other colours. I have some in 150g male malawi setup and I love this fish.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
firenzena said:
How about Electras- the lilac tones with the black are very striking and contrast well with the other colours. I have some in 150g male malawi setup and I love this fish.
Are those the Violet Electra from Hongi Island? I would love to see a picture :popcorn:.

My regular Deep Water shown below has nothing violet about him, but he is definitely one of my favorites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts