Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres a 125 gallon tank on craigslist for 50$ and i already have a 50 gallon tank in my room so i was wondering how big or how many tanks i can put in the room without my floor taking damage? oh im on the 2nd floor of a fairly new house.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Um with no idea on how your floor is built no one can say.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You'll be fine. Just put a sheet of plywood beneath the stand to distribute weight.

Think of it this way... A two-story house can hold a 250 pound man next to his 150 pound wife (face it, we're Americans) on an area of about 2 square feet. Forever.

A 125 weighs approximately 1250 pounds and with the plywood will be over ~12 square feet, so around 100+ lbs per square foot, whereas the fat couple scenario was 200+.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, it's a good article, with no answer for you tho. I'd say if you do go ahead and get the tank make sure the tank runs perpendicular to the joists, not parallel with them. That way you'll have the weight on several joists and not just 2, or worse yet, 1. I will also add I added support when I got my 90 gallon tank, and I live in an older house with ‘real’ 2x10 floor joist.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only way to know is to cut a hole in the floor and look... That being said you can probably reason out your homes construction. If was to make an educated guess is look in the basement if possible. There should be some ‘lolly columns’ that hold the floor. These columns actually hold larger supports that the first floor joist rest on. If you find a row of columns, the joist will run perpendicular to them. You can then assume all the floor joist, in the entire house, almost always run in the same direction… so whatever way they run in the basement is the way they’ll run on the first floor, and also second floor. Another tip may be the joist usually span the shorter distance in the house. So if you’re house is long and narrow the joist probably go left to right, and not back to front. Lastly I know I was overly concerned when setting up my tank. If you go ahead you’re going to want to set the tank up aginist a wall that’s ‘load baring’… not in the middle of a wall. Any more questions just ask, or post pictures and I could help more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts