Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of doing a tank overhaul and want to eventually add some live plants.
Right now I have the 36 inch Double Bright LEDs.

It says it's 1W 6000K, and that it's "Similar to twin tube florescent bulb lighting"

I really know nothing about lighting, but that seems super low, right?
Would that be able to sustain plant life?

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Depends on how deep your tank is but I think that the 36" light on a 36" tank should put you into the low-medium low light category.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have the same light on my 75g and have Jungle Val and a couple marimo moss balls that have been doing fine for about a month now

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have double brights on my 22" deep 100g tank and my anubias and java fern are still alive. Can't say they are growing fast but these plants don't grow fast anyway.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the standard 55G 20Inch depth.
Most of the plants that I have access to locally are the more standard plants: Java, Sword, Anubias, Moss.

I'm not really that attached to the double-brights, as I don't think it's very bright. It's a lot crisper and less yellow looking than the stock florescent though.

Is there any other kind of lights you guys would recommend that would be better with live plants, but still under like $120 or so?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wouldn't buy T5 anymore. LED is the way of the future and you must embrace it.. lol! A fraction of the energy cost and you never have to replace bulbs. If you want to invest in some of the best LED tech out there right now then I'd recommend a AquaGro GroBeam 500. It has the correct light spectrum for growing plants unlike the Marineland DoubleBrights.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html

I'm putting the GroBeam 500 DUO TWIN over my 75G and using their controller which can slowly turn the lights on and off to simulate sunrise/sunset!

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Morpheen
That's more than double the price of DIY 3w Cree led kits online... Litle steep for my blood. I'll stick to DIY kits :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, if you're handy, good on ya. Way to save yourself a few bucks. =D>

We're still buying the same thing and I was only trying to point out that LED tech is advancing fast and has already obsoleted other lighting forms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts