What do you recommend?
The previously-mentioned tropheus species (preferable)323.08%
A single tropheus group + another tanginyikan (acceptable)430.77%
Stick to one species (probably the harsh reality)646.15%

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really don't think that I would want to keep tropheus if the tank had only one type of fish. The preferable mix would be duboisi and sp. black pemba, but a single tropheus species and some other tanganyikan cichlid would be okay. I have read that duboisi are one of the most likely species to keep to themselves, but was wondering how often that actually happens :p . I know it's probably hard to predict, just thought someone might have had experience with these particular species together. Also, since I would be interested it raising many of the fry, I would pretty much have to have no crossbreeding. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
If you plan on keeping the fry from the trophs you really can't mix them, because you'll never be sure. What you can do is mix them with petros, gobies, even calvus or other lamps. By no means do you have to stick to a single species of fish because you have trophs. You can mix many other tangs with trophs as long as you recognize the husbandry requirements of all species in the setup.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post very well. :oops:
I have kept more than one type in 120g tanks and one group allways dominated the other.
The only way any of the trophs showed nice colours was when they were split up. I think a very large tank would be needed in order to have two deccent sized groups anyway. Darkside (good to see you again bud) mentioned a few good tankmates though (I have petros and gobies with mine).

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I kept a pair of Julies in with my Pemba. I also had a pair of brevis(not at the same time). Gobies are often kept in Troph tanks, as Darkside mentioned.

I have a 5 ft 120 with Petrochromis and Gobies. Another 120 with Troph Ikola. I hope to weed out some males and put a small Petro group in with Ikola and Gobies, and free up my other 120.

Also, Pemba can be nice, but they never showed their color as well as my Juvie Ikola are!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I have seen members who have kept mbuna, cyprichromis, catfish with tropheus.

A 125 is just not big enough to house 2 functional colonies. One will dominate the other and the dominated colony will not put on it's best colour or thrive. Tropheus colonies are at their best when they are breeding.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
noddy said:
Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post very well. :oops:
I have kept more than one type in 120g tanks and one group allways dominated the other.
The only way any of the trophs showed nice colours was when they were split up. I think a very large tank would be needed in order to have two deccent sized groups anyway. Darkside (good to see you again bud) mentioned a few good tankmates though (I have petros and gobies with mine).
Howdy! Its been a while, but I'm finally finding more time to donate to my fish again.

Much like noddy here has done I keep a trio of gobies with a group of 20 Kambwimba in a 75 gallon along with some Synodontis and a few odds and ends. Lots of breeding and the group looks good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.