Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've got a new 72 bowfront that I'm setting up as a planted dwarf cichlid, and I got a set of 5 (2M:3F) Apistogramma Nijsseni. I added them this past weekend, and they've been settling in and coloring up nicely.

I've got a set of nice 65W HO lights for the plants that I think will be half 6500K, and half 50/50 bulbs, and I'm planning on starting out with an 8 hour time to leave them on.

The problem is that I work all day, and I want my lights to be on when I'm home and can spend time looking at the tank.

Do you think it would be a problem if I ran the lights for 4 hours in the morning (7-11), 4 hours in the evening (4-8), and had a 5 hour period in the middle of the day that just used some indirect light from a window 6ft away?

I've heard that day / night cycles can have an impact on breeding. Do you think the plan above would cause problems?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
That's similar to how I run my planted tank. Lights on from 7am to 11am, then off untill 2pm, the on from 2pm to 6pm. My amazon swords grow slow, but always have lots of thick leaves, and the valisneria grows like crazy. I don't run CO2, but dose with flourish once a week after the water change.

I have not had to clean the glass once for algea in over a year, but the driftwood surfaces that face the light are covered with a thick mat of green hair algea. Looks very cool, and fry love grazing through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts