Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a group of 11 females and 7 males wild red moliro Tropheus about a year and a half ago. They are definetely spawning size but still have not spawned once for me. My water has been good and everyone seems in good colour and there isn't a ton of aggression. My fish guy ( the guy I buy all my fish from) mentioned to me to try and feed for 6 to 8 days then don't feed for 4 or 5 and keep doing that routine. This didn't seem to spark any spawning. I am thinking of putting them into a 160 gallon instead of the 100 gallon they are in now. I am looking for any advice or tips on breeding these gorgeous fish. LOL these are the only fish in my fish room not spawning.

Thanks for reading

Ryan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hbh super veggie
They are also in a 100 gallon with rocks on both sides and open space in the middle. there is a dom male on both sides of the tank right now. I trust the guy I bought them from and he vented them before shipping them to me so believe I have both male and female.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had this same problem with my moops. I was feeding pure spril and for over a year no fry. As soon as I started to add NLS to there food they started to spit out the babies. Maybe the females are just not getting enough food to become prego.

Just a thought though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I have heard that just have heard to many horror stories lol how did you start adding nls, I have large pellet nls thera A and also nls grow

·
Registered
790 Posts
Get some 1mm cichlid formula. You could start adding the grow but its %50 protein while Cichlid formula is 40%

I just started to add 1/4 teaspoon twice a week to what I was already feeding them. I was pretty scary at first but they seemed to be fine after about two months than I did 3 1/4 teaspoons from than on.

I feed all my tank in 1/4 teaspoon so I can remember not to over feed my fish
So here was how 16 moops ate for a weeks period. at the beginning of the introduction to nls

mon
4-1/4 spirl
tues
4-1/4 spril 1-1/4 NLS
weds
4-1/4 spirl
thurs
4-1/4 spirl
fri
4-1/4 spril 1-1/4 NLS
sat
4-1/4 spirl
sun
4-1/4 spirl

I like to be pretty exact when it comes to my fish, a little OCD, you could just add a pinch or so and start like that too

·
Registered
639 Posts
I feed NLS Thera+A 1mm pellet and spirulina flake together twice a day to my bembas and they breed like crazy. They are not WC though.

If you want start adding NLS to their diet mix it in with their current food. Start with a little bit and slowly add more over a month or two until you are feeding them half HBH and half NLS. It may very well get them spawning.

Also you mentioned a larger tank, being that they are WC that might be a good idea.

·
Registered
790 Posts
eeztropheus said:
Furcipher158

Nice moops! :thumb: Are they WC?
Thank you, and yes wild caught

rew-be ready with some metro too. I had one female start to bloat up one me.

I also have F-1 Katoto and they feed only on NLS and spawn all the time. Wild Caught are just way more sensitive in my experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah maybe the bigger tank might help LOL I have been debating on moving them or my Wild Black congo calvus into it or making it a new malawi community tank. I also just thought of a tropheus food that Ken fish has that I could order and try that has a higher protein content. Its supposed to be really good. lol to many decisions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts