Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month and a half ago I got a P. Spilonotus Tanzania... The fish originally had some major issues with adjusting to tank life. It was very skiddish and would not eat, would hide in the corner of the QT tank. I honestly did not think it was going to make it. I talked to a few people and they suggested that I add a couple tank raised fish in with him so that he could feel relaxed with the other fish. This worked great! The fish started eating and all was good. About a month after having the fish QT I added it to my 90 gallon tank where it has been since today. As of tonight I noticed it had about an inch of white stringy poo and noticed that it did this a couple of times. I have not fed the fish for the past two days as I have been gone. but what threw a flag up for me is how it was acting. It was kind of staying in the back of the tank and not swimming. It just stayed in one place. When I added food to the tank all of the other fish happily ate, but he did not. What do you think my next approach to all of this should be. I got him out of the tank right away and added him to the QT tank. Let me know what you guys think. I am not so good at the diagnosing fish illness and what to do to exactly treat it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This fish started off in a 20 gallon QT tank that was already cycled. Then was moved to a 90 gallon community tank. The fish has had no aggression issues, the 90 gallon tank is a grow out tank for some Red Empress and a couple other species.

the tank has been set up and established, no other fish have any issues, and maybe I am being overly cautious, but I would like to avoid anything at all costs. I do roughly 2 water changes a week on all of my tanks. For sure one, but most of the time two. I really think this might just have to do with a some what recent fish, but I would like to figure out the problem. My water checked out absolutely fine. I feed all of my fish Dainichi foods. I sometimes mix up which one I feed. Right now this tank has been fed Veggie FX. Temp of my tank is 75 degrees... I can't think of anything else to really add. This has been the newest addition to the tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I already read that article, I just didn't know exactly how cautious I should be with the rest of the tank. I think the fish had this when it was shipped to me, but just took a while for it to show. I switced the fish to my 29 gallon QT tank and started treating with Jungle Buddies Anti Parasite or whatever it is called, I added a dosage of Epsom Salt to the tank as well. He is on his second dose of meds, he has not been fed yet. Nothing really to update on, the fish still has white stringy poo, but it still alive. I will attempt to feed it in a couple of days with NLS Thera A. The rest of the tank that he was in is being fed Thera A and everybody seems to be doing fine. I did a 30 percent water changed after i originally removed the fish and cleaned out the Sand very well.

Let me know if you think i should do anything else.

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure what type of filter you have on the QT tank but make sure you take out any carbon if your filters have it.
Other than that, I have no other advise. :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it has been 13 days and the fish has had 2 doses of anti parasitic meds, with metro then i switched to a anti bacterial... Still no go, the fish is getting very, VERY skinny... it is still trying to eat food, but ends up spitting it out along with this nasty mucus stuff...

I am wondering if this fish brought something funky back with it from the lakes... Any other ideas what I could try doing. I am stumped on this one. I think I am going to go to the store and try and a different all around med and see if that will do anything. I should have seen some results by now but I got nothing.

All white poop has stopped, well infact all poop has stopped. I never had carbon on this tank to begin with because its my hospital tank.. Any ideas of a med you guys have had luck with... I am not wanting to spend much more on meds this fish has now cost me 100 dollars lol... I am going to try this all around med and if it doesn't work well... it's gonna be a lost cause

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I just got general cure Anti parasite med, it has much more metro in it. I switched the fish out of the 29 gallon and into a 10 gallon for this treatment. I added a handful of epsom salt and waited for a while then treated with one packet of the meds. At this point I plan on not feeding and then will add another packet. After that I am going to do a water change and if the fish isn't doing better I might try a double dose to see if that will help at all..

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts