Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been 3 months since I got these guys in. They were so so so sick when I got them full of parasites. I lost two of them the first week I had them, but the rest are doing just fine now. They have just now started to dig pits so hopefully soon I will have some fry :dancing:

They are in a 90G with a trio of wild kekese cyps. I wish I had more of the cyps for the tank though. I do have about 30 or so of there F1 fry but not sure if I want to add them in with the wild ones.
The big male kilesa is about 6", he's a beast.

I know my glass is dirty. I'll clean it one day :wink:
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... icture.mp4

·
Registered
338 Posts
Your wild Kilesas are looking great and healthy.Your males are ready to breed for sure.Getting in healthy wild fish is hit or miss no matter where I order from.They go through a lot of stress being shipped 2-5 times before getting to us which has much to do with it.

The C.leptosoma from Kekese is probably my favorite non jumbo cyp and they seem to be a hard find lately.I regret selling my small wild group that I had. I would add the F1s in with the wilds if they are big enough and then get a few wild/tank raised to have different blood down the road.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dmiller328 said:
Your wild Kilesas are looking great and healthy.Your males are ready to breed for sure.Getting in healthy wild fish is hit or miss no matter where I order from.They go through a lot of stress being shipped 2-5 times before getting to us which has much to do with it.

The C.leptosoma from Kekese is probably my favorite non jumbo cyp and they seem to be a hard find lately.I regret selling my small wild group that I had. I would add the F1s in with the wilds if they are big enough and then get a few wild/tank raised to have different blood down the road.
Ya I have two pairs of the wild kekese. I only keep one male in the that tank though. I have the 30 F1's from him and 7 F'1 from a completely different male and female. When I was buying them at a LFS they had about 6 pairs in a 210G and they had been breeding for them. The dominate male in that tank was a blue/black tail male. They had been stripping the females and raising up the fry and had a 7 for sale so I bought them as well for $4 each. I will more than likely add those F1's but not sure if I will add the ones I have been breeding.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They look nice--that one male really seems like a big boy. :popcorn: Good luck with them. Do you just have the two females or were there more laying low somewhere?

I'm still mourning the loss of my one female. I watched her actually dig the sand pit for a day or so (rather than the males) before holding for a day or two before spitting and then turning up dead a day or two later. Plan to transfer my gaggle of 6 males into a 6' tank once it's cycled, and eventually maybe try again with some females. May need to find some local people to take some of the boys, though.

I noticed you've got even less sand at the bottom of your tank than I do. Have you found they're happy so long as they have a little to push around?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tshethar said:
They look nice--that one male really seems like a big boy. :popcorn: Good luck with them. Do you just have the two females or were there more laying low somewhere?

I'm still mourning the loss of my one female. I watched her actually dig the sand pit for a day or so (rather than the males) before holding for a day or two before spitting and then turning up dead a day or two later. Plan to transfer my gaggle of 6 males into a 6' tank once it's cycled, and eventually maybe try again with some females. May need to find some local people to take some of the boys, though.

I noticed you've got even less sand at the bottom of your tank than I do. Have you found they're happy so long as they have a little to push around?
I only have the two for now, just waiting till I get some money and will be buying some F1's to add to them

As far as my sand I been slowly adding more. I had only 20#'s of black sand and have been adding just some natural sand to increase the depth of the sand. I transferred the wild kilesa and sand into this tank after there quarantine time and bought the 90G just for them, that's why I only had the 20# to begin with. I should of put more in there at the beginning :-?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
E kilesas are nice. Mine have spawned about 4 times and I have no trouble selling the fry a month later.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I should of put more in there at the beginning :-?
You've got more experience with them than me, but I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter. I know lots of folks like having little to no substrate in breeding tanks, growouts and other setups where detritus buildup and removal might be a real concern--I figured that might be what was motivating you to go light. I don't think it looks bad, either. I was just curious, given that they like making their small piles of sand as part of marking territory and mating, whether you (or others) had noticed any differences in their breeding with more or less (or no) sand.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the piles and pits they make that is why I am adding more sand in. I do though like you said keep little sand in most of my tanks, not sure why I just have never liked having a ton in my tanks. I wonder if it really makes a difference in breeding.
Even my planted piranha tank has very little substrate. I really wish I had more in here cuz the caribe are always knocking my plants up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
They look very nice - really busy and active. I've been waiting for some time to get my hands on some wilds so glad to have the warning of parasites. Wilds are not cheap here (about $70 a piece) so I hope to get 2m 3f.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts