Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here are some of the fish that came in as "red pseudonigricans"

There are obviously at least 3 (possibly 4) distinctly different males in the group of 12 that I got. The most frustrating thing is the females. I don't know which males to put them with. Right now, I've giving the females a small amount of methyl-testosterone daily to get them to show a little color so I can match them to the proper males. Even then, I'll have them separated, but I still won't know what species they are!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dave, if you feed them the methyl. They will end up being sterile and non-breedable.

Here are pics of the ones I got in Pundamilia sp zebra nyererei Makobe Island

I ended up with 8 males and 4 females from the 12 in stock

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
How long have they been in the tank (are they settled in)?

In person, how do they compare to available info on Makobes?
Such as
Samaki's

Ole's

the pic in the profile here---?

·
Registered
35 Posts
These are not the Pundamilia nyererei makobe Islands.

They were sold as wild Pundamilia sp zebra nyererei Makobe island.

So no confusion should be made here.

These were landed in the USA on Aug 17th, so it has been in captivity for a month exactly. In my tanks now for 11 days.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
nick a - Two different fish altogether.

I think it is great that wild Vic's have been made available to the hobby. On the down side, it is very unfortunate that they have been mixed up, and ensuring their progeny will be pure is going to be VERY difficult. Such great fish, I just wish they would be treated with more respect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fogelhund said:
nick a - Two different fish altogether.

I think it is great that wild Vic's have been made available to the hobby. On the down side, it is very unfortunate that they have been mixed up, and ensuring their progeny will be pure is going to be VERY difficult. Such great fish, I just wish they would be treated with more respect.
The fish i got in are not mixed. I was told by the importer that Dave only had one fish that wasnt to his group by what he had read in Daves post on Hill Country Cichlid Clubs forum.

I can clearly tell that all my males are the same and all the females are the same and correct to my males because when they were colored down they clearly showed the same metallic colors to their bodies that the males did. But I will spawn them and make sure they are correct when grown out before I distribute mine to anyone.

I do plan on ordering more today as well.

Three more of the five species that are available.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
jts_aquatics said:
I was told by the importer that Dave only had one fish that wasnt to his group by what he had read in Daves post on Hill Country Cichlid Clubs forum.
As you can see, (if you've looked) there are three, perhaps four types in that one group.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fogelhund said:
jts_aquatics said:
I was told by the importer that Dave only had one fish that wasnt to his group by what he had read in Daves post on Hill Country Cichlid Clubs forum.
As you can see, (if you've looked) there are three, perhaps four types in that one group.
I see them but I really dont think that the importer would have sold that many mixed fish together as they are a very big name in the industry. He personally told me that there appears to be one fish that is in doubt incorrect and thats the second pic down. he told me that the black pattern or color is the fright color of the one thats colored to the red that looks similar to a Hippo Point Salmon. I went thru all this with the importer before I made my purchase. I am very happy with my purchase and plan to order more today or tomorrow.

i wont be ordering the fish from the specie that Dave ordered from thou. So we shall see what comes in next week or the week after and I will keep you guys updated here.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Everybody makes mistakes, no matter how long they've been in the business, nor how reputable they are. I know where these fish come from, and I also know the history quite well.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Could this be JT's fish, correctly named?http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_pundamilia.php

Mistakes happen to all of us--it's what we do afterwards that counts!

Those fish in Dave's pics were ordered for me. Dave warned me of problems in a phone call. As soon as I saw the fish, he saw the disappointment in my face and told me he did not expect me to pay for these obviously mixed up fish. I cannot express here how much I appreciate his honesty and integrity. Similarly, I find few words to express why the original seller would stone-wall in the face of such blatant fact.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I only ordered one of the 5 groups of fish that the importer had available. I've heard from others that the other 4 species that were brought in were not mixed up. I just picked the wrong one! :lol:

Please don't misunderstand me though. I am very happy with the fish that I got, and have been happy with all fish I've ever ordered from this importer. Mistakes are easily made with wild caught fish. Many fish that are caught in the same area, such as the rufus and the rubripinnis, are easily confused, especially when fresh out of the bag and not showing any color.

As for the second pic that I posted, it was taken at an extreme angle, so the head looks much more rounded than it really is.

Also, the testosterone won't sterilize the fish long term if given in small doses. It causes problems when huge amounts are fed, like we see in Asian cichlid imports where one inch peacocks are colored up better than adult males ever get!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nick,

I was told thats what they could be but we know for a fact that alot of species havent been described in the lake and new species are always found. Since we dont have someone like Ad Konings down there its not helping the situation here. I had ordered this group for a guy as well and he thought that they would be the pundamilia nyererei makobe islands and returned them for credit for other fishes. I told him once they color fully he is going to regret giving them back.

I have been giving mine some freeze dried cyclopeeze to help with the color and we will go from there.

Dave, I am happy with my order as well from this importer and order the rest of the rock kribs today and ordered the neos and the pundamilia nyererei reds. I will post pics once they come in to share with you so you dont have to waste more money if indeed these species are mixed.

I would hate to see them being mixed at all considering the problems we have in the hobby already with hybrids. But they can come from the lake that way as well.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The author of the article I linked to is as close to an Ad as we have locally for Lake Victorians. I agree with you 100% on the difficulties with ID'ing and with trying to keep pure strains (partially due to the ID problem). Obviously, for your buyer, other hobbiests and myself, P. nyererei collected from Makobe Island should be a clearly understood entity. The concept of two P. nyererei variants at the same locale can (and evidently --has) caused some confusion. I can only imagine the cross-breeding and muddying of strains caused by sellers using outdated or trade names or simply passing along whatever name they were given at the time of purchase. As I step off my soapbox :roll: I hope that the efforts of those like Mr. Steeves will pay some dividends in the future as we all try to use the best nomenclature available.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pundamilia pundamilia was described in 1998 if I remember correctly. Until that point, it was known as Pundamilia sp. "Zebra Nyererei", so the name wasn't incorrect, but just a little outdated. Males are very easy to distinguish between the P. pundamilia and the P. nyererei found at Makobe, but the females are another story. Greg had mentioned that while they're both found at Makobe, the P. pundamilia is found in deeper water than the nyererei, so that's how they remain separated in the wild.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Samaki, thanks. Thats what Mike had told me that you said when we first emailed you the pics of them. Now as for Dav's fish i dont know what he received. We shall see thou

1 - 20 of 67 Posts