Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, First post and new to the forum.

I have inherited what I assume is a Male Jack Dempsy of some sort that my boss's kids caught in a retention pond nearby. They have been kept at my job and boss said they needed to find a new home. Being the one who would come in on the weekends to feed/care for them, I volunteered the new home. This guy is the reason I am a new fish keeper.

So this picture is from the old tank a 15 gallon square. He now resides in a 55 gallon with small gravel and sand mix with fake plants. Just wanted to introduce myself and share my friend here to confirm this is a JD.

Thanks for reading and I welcome any comments and suggestions.
IMG_20210127_204716519.jpg

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Female Jack Dempsey.
Blue coloration on the lower part of the gill plate is a reliable indicator that A JD is female. Males almost always lack coloration on the lower 1/2 of the gill plate.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Hah! Check out that burly looking, female Jack Dempsey. That Grrrlll might have gotten a bit feral out there, and looks like she's got an attitude! And, I guess she could rate the 'WC' designation (wild caught). But former aquarium fish escapees in a non-native environment, make that designation a little sketchy. There's another Central American native that has also quite firmly established itself in Florida - the Mayan Cichlid, Mayaheros uropthalmus. People apparently catch those Cichlids on rod & reels all the time, and they're supposedly pretty good to eat.
So, I'm glad to see that your Jack Dempsey is safely back in an aquarium! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now knowing this one is indeed a female, it explains a lot of the behavior with the other JD.

The only reason I say wild caught, the bosses kids made a fish trap, put it in the retention pond down from the shop and caught these two JD's and a minnow of some sort. Having gone back to that spot, there is a colony of them there still. Have a 150 gallon tank I am getting ready for set up. Will probably have a lot more post with plenty of questions to come.

Thanks again for the replies..

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
jeb5573 said:
Have a 150 gallon tank I am getting ready for set up. Will probably have a lot more post with plenty of questions to come.
Oh... sounds fun!
And no worries, there's plenty of people on here - with plenty of ideas! Heck man, if you ask 3 of the long-termers here (hard cores) a question? You might get 5 opinions!

*COUGH* "Strum!" *COUGH*
-
And... Welcome To Cichlid-forum! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts