Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a pair of wild caught A. Patricki. They are in a 40B with a couple corys. They are extremely skittish and hide all of the time. I rarely see them...and if they see me they scatter. I understand wc are prone to be that way but if I could find a way to calm them down a little bit...what kind of dither fish would work with these fish? They have plenty of hiding places.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Aequidens patricki - WC or otherwise - are just skittish fish... I've kept them twice and found this to be the case, even with dithers.

Best thing you can do is to provide lots of cover... Mine would dart out to eat and hide again. Even when breeding.

Matt

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
That's depressing dogofwar .... they've been on my wishlist for years.

Did you find them as predatory as say a blue acara towards smaller tetra dithers?

·
Registered
99 Posts
*** never kept the species of fish you have but my best advice when keeping wild SA is to keep the room their in dark and keep tank lighting low, then you may get to see them behaving naturally.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
They'll eat small fish...but certainly will not go after them as a preference.

I set them up in their own tank with lots of driftwood, subdued lighting and lots of hiding spots.

They actually spawn on flat stones on the bottom (vs. a cave). Pretty fish but one that isn't going to come out and interact with you much...

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts