Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just moved some fish and ow have a 120 gallon tank empty. i was thinking of putting either my group of 10 Ophthalmotilapia ventralis or my group of 19 trouphus bemba in there both are in 90 gallon 4 foot tanks right now wich do you think will benifit the most im leaning towards the trouphus because they are much more aggresive towards one another

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
How long is the 120?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Upgrade Tropheus before the ventralis. You want to upgrade both long term I think. So go for two bigger tanks. :wink:
For sure Tropheus from a four foot to a 6 foot might cause more problems than it solves. You want to transfer these to a bigger tank you want to pop in a tank divider and slowly increase the room rather than doing it all in one go. Same goes but to a lesser extent for the ventralis.

All the best James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
24Tropheus said:
Upgrade Tropheus before the ventralis. You want to upgrade both long term I think. So go for two bigger tanks. :wink:
For sure Tropheus from a four foot to a 6 foot might cause more problems than it solves. You want to transfer these to a bigger tank you want to pop in a tank divider and slowly increase the room rather than doing it all in one go. Same goes but to a lesser extent for the ventralis.

All the best James
thanks for the tip. why is this though im just curious. this is the first group of trouphus *** kept and its been going well. i will probably end up adding the ventralis with my cyps and put them in one of my 180s just waiting for the cyps to get a bit bigger. how many throuphus do you think i can put in the 120 with out overstocking?

·
Registered
705 Posts
i assume an especially spunky specimen could just go crazy with all the extra room. and get overly defensive.. idk just my idea there. may not make much sense lol

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I think you could go at least 30 but I do not find mixing groups of the same type works as well as hoped once they are past 21/2".
All **** brakes loose as Tropheus that have no established pecking order meet for the first time.
I tend to loose some (or have to remove beet up guys) each time I do this and for sure have bloat treatments and wound treatments on hand.
The main reason to upgrade for the Tropheus is not survival, its for greater breeding success.
I find I get more breeding in bigger tanks.
19 when big and with young is fine I think. I have started groups with as few as 17 in this sort of tank.
You may find it easier to mix em with a group of dubs rather than more of the same type but thats more of a show tank thing. The dubs tend to outbreed the other Tropheus for me in mixes and seem to reduce the breeding of the other type.
Others find they can breed Tropheus fine in big wide 4 foot 75g+ tanks but not me.
(Also Troph breed well at about 3" but they continue growing well beyond this. A group of 19 3" ers do not need as much room as a group of 19 4-5" ers)
Same with the O.ventralis. You can crowd these out of aggression and get very little breeding or go for enough room for male territories. You get far more agression the big tank way but you can also get room for females to brood in the main tank.
Young Troph can be left with the adults in 6 foot tanks more often than in four foot tanks I find. O.ventralis I find still need brooding/rearing tanks. (Or stripping and rearing tanks)
Oh when I mixed Troph and ventralis young the Troph tend to dominate and can even eat ventralis young that fits in their mouths.

All the best James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok what do you think about this the 19 trouphus in the 120 then 10 Ophthalmotilapia ventralis with 14 cyp lep. kitumba in a 180 with 10 more cyp lep kitumba added once they are large enough. see any problems with that mix? i will probably add a shellie in the one 180 as well. my main goal is breeding do you think these 2 groups will prevent or slow breeding down?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Sounds good to me. I envy you your tank space. Must get my extra tanks lined up rather than using my time trying to advise folk who have a great grasp of what to go for already. :oops: :)

Saying that its always greatest breeding success in breeding tanks one species per tank plus rearing tanks. But then who wants or can aford just one species per tank plus rearing tanks?

Most of what we try is a compromise and you do not know for sure how well it will work (for you) until you try it.

All the best James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks for the help i figured they would be ok but wanted a second opinion these arent exactly cheap or easy to find fish here in michigan lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts