Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 peacocks and i purchase a new pleco for the 55 every 4 or 6 months . 0 ammonia & 8.2 ph. my plecos hide for a month or two then swim across the tank, clean the front of the tank, then hide eat more and die? 4 4inch through 5 cichlids.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Dingus, Just my 2 cents worth. I keep Plecos successfully with all my Peacocks with the exception of my Ngara Flametail colony. It took me 6 Pleco deaths before I figured out what was wrong. Just like you I'd put 2 in the tank and things would be fine. They'd be cleaning up the algae for a few weeks and then show up dead. They were 2-3 inchers in with adult Ngaras. Then one day after adding 2 more I sat down and watched for a while. One started working the front glass and "Bang" The big male Ngara came over and blasted him :( . I've since added 2 adult male Plecos (4-5") and he still nips at them but all has been well going on 6 months now, algae is gone. Oh Yea, all these were brown bristlenose plecos. Hope this helps, Bob :thumb:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I think hollyfish is right but when I started my tank they sold me 2 common (i think) plecos with my first batch of cichlids and said they would be fine. They have been but from what I've read other people say, they do best if added together when young and they grow up together (the cichlids and plecos).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts