Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to establish an all male tank, but alas my big ol' socolofi (yes, I know the genders look alike) turned out to be a female and spawned with one of my males. Here's the list of possible poppas:

Yellow lab (4 inch)
Estherae "O" (4.5 inch) dominant
Acei (4.5 inch)
Sunshine peacock (3.5 inch)
Red peacock (2.5 inch)
Albino estherae (3 inch)

I would guess that the dominant male is the sire; however, some of you might know more about what species she might readily spawn with. The fry that survived all look like their mom with no blotches. At least the little mutants are attractive. :p

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would also think it is the dominant male... did you notice him or anyone alse chasing the socolofi or shimmying around her?

I definitely feel your pain! I am finally thinking I might have a chance at having a stable all male tank after dealing mith many many male-wanna-be holding females and overly-aggressive males.... It is definitely one of the more challenging tanks to set up!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never saw her messing around with her tank mates other than chase the little guys. She just stopped eating one day and then I noticed the bulge under her "chin". After she spit the fry, I fattened her back up and then took her to the LFS abd traded her in for about 7 bucks worth of cichlid pellets. At least she earned her keep... :thumb:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would have bet on the male estherae as being the dominant fish in the tank, even if you hadn't said it. I would also bet on him as the father.

The problem here is, as you said, they look just like mom, so should they ever leave your tanks, they may be passed off as such.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even though the fry are young and have the general appearance of mom, a couple of them seem to have a golden cast. At any rate, I'll try to be careful about letting them get into other tanks. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Most will tell you not to mix mbuna with Haps/peacocks, but you can try anything.
My concern would be with the Red Zebra. If the size was reverse, I'd say try it, but a 4.5" Zebra with those small peacocks.. well, I'd feel more confident for the peacocks if they were at least 4".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They actually get along quite well. I have designed a lot of caves into the landscape and I keep them well fed which alleviates aggression to some degree. Plus when someone gets to be too much of a bully, I take him back to the LFS and trade him in. I had a gorgeous 5" sunshine peacock that tried to take over the tank. He ended up in the LFS with a sign on his tank that said, "Sunshine peacock, 'Big Buford' - $29.95" :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts