Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a weekly water change on my 2 tanks on Thursday. No problems Friday, on Saturday I found a dead paracyp in one tank that I separated from the main tanganyikan tank. Not a surprise he hasn’t been looking good. I also though found a dead paracyp in the main tang tank. Surprised at that. Little later in the day I find another big male paracyp dead. Not sure what’s going on I do a big water change. Everything looks fine Saturday night.

Sunday morning everything in the main tang tank is dead. Not one survivor between the paracyps, simils, and sumbus. I’m clueless what happened. My South American tank is fine. Water parameters after I found the first dead fish were perfect 0/0/10. My first theory is something with the dechloror chlorine in the water. Other then that there’s a tiny chance I may have had some rust buster on my hand when getting the dead big male paracyp out. This is very doubtful though as I had washed my hands and ate before. The last theory is some cleaner drifted in a bucket on Thursday while doing the water change on the tang tank. This is doubtful as the fish were seemingly okay for 2 days afterwards.

My thought was some kind of dechlor issue based on the complete kill, strong chlorine smell in tap water recently, and low probability of cross contamination from oil or cleaners. I’m open to any suggestions as this tank has been rock solid aside from agresssion.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,928 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened.
You don't state the measured PH level of your Tanganyikan aquarium. But, I suspect you were buffering and adding some components to keep the PH and water hardness levels high for those tanks?
These are all things that can make a Chlorine/Chloramine surge in your tap water that much more lethal.
And yes, municipalities can sometimes 'shock' or surge the chlorine/chloramine levels in the tap water.
For no other reason than, well.... the day ends in a 'Y'?
-
I suspect that a Chlorine/Chloramine surge or shock, that was administered to your tap water system. Is what ultimately killed those fish. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PH is above 8, just typical Midwest hard water. Not doing anything to boost hardness. I’m hoping it was a surge as that’s a simple explanation. My worry though is that I’ve got a 300g tank room coming online soon. What can I do to prevent this. My instincts says to age all water over the day and double dose prime, before any water changes. I’ve historically been on well water, chlorine hasn’t been an issue.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
41,836 Posts
Check with your water provider to verify they did a shock treatment. I have heard the towns will publish when they do this, it is often a spring annual maintenance task but also happens if there is a significant repair (water main break, etc.).

Aging the water will not help, but double Prime may. Also get a chlorine test.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top