Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am doing a school project that requires me to interview an expert on my topic and i chose lake malawi. i would really appreciate it if some one could help me out and or point in the right direction. i just need to know about 1... the fish, 2... how the community revolves around the lake, and 3... when and how was it made (or just the history of it)?

just pm me and i will get back to you.

any help is appreciated.
thanks,
Christian

·
Registered
152 Posts
There's a short video I quite like here:

Have a dig around online, I am sure there is so much information about Lake Malawi, it has been the subject of extensive research and study by scientists.

Good luck!

Ian.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I get the impression that the interview process is part of the requirement. Is that right? I'm not sure anyone on here would voluntarily call themselves "expert" on the lake, but perhaps someone "experienced" on the topic can help you out? Sorry, I'm still a rookie on the topic.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
electyellowdude said:
i am doing a school project that requires me to interview an expert on my topic and i chose lake malawi. i would really appreciate it if some one could help me out and or point in the right direction. i just need to know about 1... the fish, 2... how the community revolves around the lake, and 3... when and how was it made (or just the history of it)?

just pm me and i will get back to you.

any help is appreciated.
thanks,
Christian
You might need to talk to a few different people to cover these topics, or just do the research yourself, particularly on how the lake was made... I think that is what you are getting at.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think someone should call/email Mr. Konings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a Discovery series called "Atlas: Uncovering Earth". In the first episode titled "Great Rift Valley" there is a segment purely about life around the lakes as well as how the cichlids evolved. It's not an interview but I found it interesting. If you have Netflix you can watch it for free online.

Edit: The Discovery series by Jeremy Wade called "River Monsters" has an episode called "Rift Valley Killers". It doesn't detail cichlids all that much but their is an interesting segment on the dangers of the lake and the fishing infrastructure.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
fortunately for yourself, you're from california, and I'd be willing to bet you can find some great structural geologists at most of the universities there. if you just need one interview, they will provide great insight as to how the rift valley formed. It's somehting I studied as a geologist in school, so I know a PhD. will know. Then you can just use written resources for the other aspects of the lake. But I'd be hard pressed to think you can find any one person who is an expert at all three.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
davidsrego said:
There is a Discovery series called "Atlas: Uncovering Earth". In the first episode titled "Great Rift Valley" there is a segment purely about life around the lakes as well as how the cichlids evolved. It's not an interview but I found it interesting. If you have Netflix you can watch it for free online.

Edit: The Discovery series by Jeremy Wade called "River Monsters" has an episode called "Rift Valley Killers". It doesn't detail cichlids all that much but their is an interesting segment on the dangers of the lake and the fishing infrastructure.
Sounds a lot like the Science Channel's Mutant Planet episode on the Rift Valley. I have Netflix and it is on Watch Instantly, I just checked. The show is actually called "Discovery Atlas". Pretty much the same, just wanted to point that out. Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm watching it now. This is definitely a different show.

I don't remember River Monsters on Malawi, but Jeremy did fish for the Nile Perch. Which we all know is responsible for the destruction of Lake Victoria's ecosystem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The episode was on Lake Victoria but I believe the information provided could be used to conclude a paper/in an introductory paragraph about the dangers of non-native species.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It was actually on Tanganyika. There was only a small portion of the show about the lakes, but it was good info either way. On the lake and the Rift Valley. I enjoyed it.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
If the assignment is an interview, I would email Ad Konings...can't hurt to try right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts