Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of cycling (fishless) a brand new 10g tank and I am getting a thin clearish-white silky-gooey substance that is taking over the water line of the tank. I broke it up a little and took a picture of what is floating at the top and what it looks like when it fell on the substrate. What is this?

Current Parameters:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 60ppm
GH: ~100ppm
KH: ~150ppm
pH: 7.0
Chlorine: 0

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flippercon said:
Looks like some kind of fungus . I saw a similar post this week with the same looking stuff. Here is the link.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=227580
It doesn't really look that similar. The weird thing is, this "fungus" is a thin layer sitting at the top of the tank. It is mostly clear, and I never even noticed it until I broke the layer and some of it fell towards the bottom of the tank. I've never seen anything like it, but I agree that it could be some sort of fungus. Any ideas on what to do to get rid of it? I haven't done any water changes yet...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would vacuum it out . Can you net it? Maybe a shop vacuum .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can probably net most of it, but won't it just come back since it's a fungus? Would you suggest a particular treatment? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Pimafix is for fungus treatment, but you are cycling a tank. Not sure if it would kill the bb in your filter. Are you running carbon?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I would either net or try laying some paper towel over the water to soak it up.
What filter are you using, what additives if any in the water and is there any wood in the tank?
You may need more surface agititation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTZ said:
You may need more surface agititation.
Way ahead of you. I netted as much as I could and then threw in an extra long air stone I had laying around for some surface agitation. The thing I am most worried about is the stuff that fell to the substrate. I am about to try vaccuming it up, but I don't know how lucky i'll be since its sort of goopy.

The other thing that worries me is the location of the tank. I am in an apartment where the window sills are about 14" deep. The kid in me couldn't help but think this was a perfect spot for a 10G. But, there's lots of sun coming through the tank, which I hope isn't a major part of the problem. I am going to paint the background tomorrow to keep it out.

There isn't anything in the tank besides substrate, heater, a whisper internal filter, and a filter sock of carbon.

·
Registered
623 Posts
tank should be fine with the sun light. I used to have my old 55 bow in the living room with a huge window. Got lots of light. Was fine, just wiped off any algae on the front glass every week or two. I would just be more concerned with keeping a good steady temperature. I would aim low 70's so if it were to spike due to the sun light, it wont boil your fish.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Chunkanese said:
I would just be more concerned with keeping a good steady temperature.
Agreed, a 10g will swing either way far quicker than a larger tank. Low 70's seems a bit extreme though. I'd try monitoring temps throughout the day while it gets direct sunlight, again after it's painted, and see how big the temp changes are, if any. Consider relocating if it's going to be a problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shellies215 said:
You said you are fishless cycling. Are you using pure ammonia? Did you check to make sure your ammonia doesn't contain surfactants?
No, I didn't. It is something I bought from lowes. Could this be the problem, and how would I get rid of it? How would I know if it had surfactants?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
ejoshmo said:
shellies215 said:
You said you are fishless cycling. Are you using pure ammonia? Did you check to make sure your ammonia doesn't contain surfactants?
No, I didn't. It is something I bought from lowes. Could this be the problem, and how would I get rid of it? How would I know if it had surfactants?
Give the bottle a shake, there should be a few bubbles that disappear quickly. If there's foam, and it stays that way for a minute or so, there are additives.
Also, check for any ingredients on the bottle.
What's the brand and name? I believe in the US you can get pure ammonia at Ace hardware.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts