Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cichlid with a white mouth. I first noticed it a while ago when it was just around his lips. Thought lip-locking and didn't think more about it. However, today I noticed that it is spreading back farther. Here are some pictures. I read some comments on similar posts and dreaded columnaris was mentioned. Please tell me that isn't what I'm dealing with!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just keep an eye on it. Most likely aggression; right now I have a fish with it a little bit and have seen it before. Keep up on water changes and it should go away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I hope you're right. I feel better about it now anyway haha. This guy is near the top of the pecking order, he tries to control the right side of the tank, might be losing that battle. He's the only one in the tank with these signs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up pulling him out into a 10 gallon that night (all I had, didn't want to setup the 40 for him) just to watch him. He didn't eat for about 4-5 days after I pulled him out, figured out it was likely because the room I had the 10 gallon setup in was super bright, I threw a blanket over the back of the tank and he started eating the next day. I have some melafix in with him, too. Here's a picture of him after being in the 10 gallon for a couple days. I'll get another picture of him tonight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's how he looks today. Looks like the affected area is about the same size. Looks smoother now, not as pocketed. Should be getting better, right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most definitely aggression. I tried putting him back in my 180 last night. The tank boss is a nimbochromis fusco, a couple inches bigger than this guy. The fusco had this guy gill deep in his mouth which explains why the damage is back to his gills, not just his lips. The fusco was trying to shake him violently, like he was trying to rip his head off. The other fish in the tank all back down to the fusco, this guy thinks hes a tough guy, would definitely lose the fight to the fusco. He's back in his separate tank now. Will be finding a new home for this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts