Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my Acei in my tank and one other fish seem to have white lesions on their bodies. My biggest Acei has some of his top fin missing from slamming into different things in the tank. All of them seem to be swimming near the top of the tank and just hanging in the same spot.

Others in the tank don't seem to be affected. I don't think I will be able to catch the fish to put into a seperate tank without causing a lot of stress for the whole tank, so I don't want to move them into a hospital tank, I'd rather treat the whole tank.

So can you guys help me idenfity what my fish may be suffering from and what I should try to do to help them?

The water was just changed a week ago (15%). I am going to change it again tomorrow (another 15%).

The water is at 7.8 hardness and both Nitrates and Nitrites are at 0.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Can you post a pic of the lesions?

You should have nitrate in your tank if it is cycled. You may want to repeat that test as it can come out as zero if you don't shake thoroughly according to the instructions.

Lurking under the surface is a sign of stress, but it could be just because they are sick.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Hard to tell for sure from the pic, but is it missing scales? Like an injury?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are self inflicted injuries I am assuming. They potentially are from some disease too - but the way the fish are acting, I think they are doing it to themselves.

I just saw my biggest fish bouncing off of the rocks. It was pretty intense. He was causing one of the smaller rocks to rock back and forth as he bounced on it from side to side.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sounds like a parasite. The fish are trying to itch and damaging themselves in the process.

I have my booklet at home that would tell you what they recommend (makers of Maracyn)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DJRansome said:
You should have nitrate in your tank if it is cycled. You may want to repeat that test as it can come out as zero if you don't shake thoroughly according to the instructions.
Shake bottle #2 vigorously if you are using the liquid nitrate test. I thought my test was broken but I called MARS/API and they called back indicating to shake #2 a LOT (which is not in the instructions).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any kind of insight is appreciated! I will run out to the store tonight to get something to combat it. I feel bad for them since they are just looking so torn up!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Symptom chart:
+ flashing, darting, rapid swimming, spots on body: Yes
+ rubbing or scratching against bottom [and I assume other tank decorations]: yes
> "Velvet or other related protozoan disease"

= Treat with Maracide or CopperSafe. Use Maracyn-Two, Maracyn, Maracyn-TC or Maracyn-Plus to prevent secondary infections from bacteria.

Personally, I would use the Maracide - then follow up with Seachem Polyguard to prevent secondary infections (unless you can find the Maracyn cheaper/dose than Polyguard).

·
Registered
55 Posts
To me it almost looks like Costia necatrix. Formaldehyde or a salt bath should be used to cure. I'm not 100 percent on the diagnosis but it's my best guess. Have you been using feeders or have you done anything different in the past couple of weeks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts