Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped 9 fry from one of my female Electric Yellow Labs about 6 weeks ago. At the time, she had been holding for nearly four weeks, so the fry were very well developed. They're now about 6 weeks old and a little over 1/2" long. 2 of the fry are clearly white, almost like a pearlmutt lab. I noticed this as soon as the other 7 started to color up and assumed they would eventually show color too, but they haven't. Their eyes are black, so they aren't albino. Is it common to get white offspring from yellow parents? Are they desirable to anyone?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
623 Posts
Are they smaller than the other fry? They may just be taking longer to color up and eating less. Unsure if it's normal though to get white fry.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
fish_addiction said:
I stripped 9 fry from one of my female Electric Yellow Labs about 6 weeks ago. At the time, she had been holding for nearly four weeks, so the fry were very well developed. They're now about 6 weeks old and a little over 1/2" long. 2 of the fry are clearly white, almost like a pearlmutt lab. I noticed this as soon as the other 7 started to color up and assumed they would eventually show color too, but they haven't. Their eyes are black, so they aren't albino. Is it common to get white offspring from yellow parents? Are they desirable to anyone?

Thanks,

Jon
If they stay white, they are not desirable.

The complete absence of yellow would suggest hybridization in the background to me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are the same size as the others and eating just fine. I would be surprised if they were hybrids because both of the parents are a nice yellow color with solid black dorsal and ventral fins. I have done a little research and found that this happens with the Electric Yellow morph from time to time, but I haven't found a good explaination. The tank mates are albino socolofi, demasoni and yellow tail acei. I will try and snap some pics tonight.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however, a breeder would likely cull them.
I think they look neat, curious as to what they'll look like as they grow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think they look neat as well. Keep us posted as they grow.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chunkanese said:
I'm surprised they haven't been eaten. I would keep them
They haven't been eaten because they're in a 20G fry tank by themselves :D. I planned on keeping them for a while anyway, and I wouldn't sell them out give them away if I knew they were inferior. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. BTW, the same female is holding again. I plan to strip her on the 23rd, which will be close to 4 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts