Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an adult white Calvus and it looks like she may be having some problems. She has a swollen area behind the pectoral fin on her bottom side. Could it be bloat, egg bind, she is just holding eggs and hasn’t laid them yet? This white Calvus trio is in with a group of Tri colored cyps only.

Also, she is not eating well (especially today) and is being shy more than normal when i come around the tank. I will try to get a few pictures of her shortly. I need some help diagnosing this. I really don’t want to lose her...

I just lost some other fish in another tank so I’m nervous about anything abnormal looking. Lost 7 Aceis and looks like my peacock is going to be making a trip to the big tank in the sky soon. These guys had significantly different signs of sickness but I’m still on high alert as i don’t know for sure what caused it but think it was probably started by stress from other tank mates. Most of these fish that died started off with wounds that got worse and worse.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I had an orange fin comp female with something similar. Was never sure what it was. It didn't kill her and it really didn't go away. No way of knowing if your girl has something different. You might want to try wetting some sinking food pellets, then mix in some Metro powder and let the metro dry and bond to the food pellets and then feed the medicated pellets to your calvus.

You might want to mix up enough for a weeks worth of feedings. At the end of the week, do your normal 25% water change and then insert some carbon in your filter to remove any trace meds. Don't be afraid to repeat the treatment a couple more times.

Best wishes!

Russ

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
Epsom salts in the water as a mild laxative might help if it is a blockage.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
DJRansome said:
Epsom salts in the water as a mild laxative might help if it is a blockage.
Yes.

As a last resort, after treating with metro & epsom, you may want to try a broad range antibiotic like Kanamycin sulfate. I think the metro & epsom will have the best chances of helping.

Again, best wishes!

Russ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should i isolate her to a 10gal until she looks better? The other 2 white calvus look like they may be spawning.

Where can i get Epsom salt? Do i need to go to a fish store or just walmart or something? Thanks guys. Im still trying to get a good picture and maybe that will help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My local grocery store has Epsom salt in the first aid section by the hydrogen peroxide, band-aids and ben gay.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
For future use,... I use a modest amount of Epsom with each water change (Magn... sulfate).

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
With your other losses, I would consider treating for internal parasites. Either metronidazole or praziquantel- and a series of treatments. I have the most experience with metro- and have used it in tanks with holding females and new fry with no losses. I think it's safe to say that disease and death are greater risks to spawning than a round of metro. Unfortunately, metro is only somewhat soluble at high pH, and will precipitate out of the water column. But, it's cheap (look for something like FishZole online) to treat larger volumes of water for multiple days.

I would treat the whole tank- the other fish have been exposed to any potential disease organisms. Here's the recipe I use for a metronidazole treatment:
Do not feed your fish at all during the treatment.
Day 1: Dissolve and add 250 mg of metro and 2 tablespoons of dissolved epsom salt for every 10 gallons.
Day 2: Full dose (250mg/10 gal) of metro in the AM, then 40% WC and full dose of metro in the evening (add 2 TBS of epsom salt for every 10 gallons of new water ).
Day 3: Full dose of metro in the AM, and another full dose in the PM.
Day 4: 40% WC (replacing the epsom salt) and full dose of metro in the AM, and another full dose in the PM.
day 5: 40% WC
Day 6: 40% WC and feed lightly
Dosing twice a day for several days appears to overcome the solubility issues of metro in alkaline water. Not feeding and using Epsom salt as a laxative is important for metro to be able to clear out the fish gut. I've never seen any improvement when using metro-laced foods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.