Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like everyones opinon on what you would choose between vics or peacocks? I have started a new 55 gallon its cycled and now has some plecos a clown louch and a catfish in it. I am ready for some cichlids but cant decide between vics or peacocks. I am interested in the Ruby Green vics and a couple sp44s. For the peacocks it would be between a couple of the aulonocaras mainly either baenschis,ngara flametails,or rubescens. Keep in mind this will be a specious only tank with one or two males with several females. Someone with exp. with both have any advice as to what would be best in a tank this size?

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Any of those, it just depends on which male you like best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like peacocks but the females are pretty dull, if you are going to mostly keep females I would do vic tank as the females usually have decent colors.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sp 44 red fin females are very colourful and can be aggressive. I thought my dominant fish was a male, until I caught her spawning and laying eggs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks , Im trying to keep aggression to a minimum, ( had enough mbuna for that ) so that helps Chunk. As for the female peacocks which ones have the most color?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the female zebra obliquidens as for looks, Do any female auloncara have as much color? Does anyone have these? Can someone post some pics?

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Females peacocks are all pretty much silver brown. So much so that it's nearly impossible to ID species if you mix a bunch of female peacocks in a tank.

I find Astatotilapia latifasciata (zebra obliq) to be as aggressive as mbuna but not a problem in a 55G species tank at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think this stocking list would work for my 55 gallon?

1 M Ngaraflametail
1 M Baenschi
1 M Zebra Obliquidans
3 FM Zebra Obliquidans

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you need to decide to go ALL male, or females for each species. BTW, I am currently housing Ruby Greens along with Aul. Kandeense plus others in a community 75g. It wasn't meant to be long term, and it's only been a few months, but they seem to be doing well (both breeding, occasional bickering, no damage).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.