Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I currently have a 60gallon / 200liter aquarium with some malawi cichlids. I have this setup now for 3 years. I have a plan to increase both the aquarium and the amount of fish in it, to make them feel better.
I have in mind two options for my new tank. The first is to stick to the classic look and create the aquarium long (7 feet long, 2 feet deep and 2 feet tall).
The second option is to build the aquarium not so traditional - Respectively forming it into the shape of an L with the foot down
(6 feet long, 2 feet deep and 2 feet tall in one end and 3 or 4 feet tall in the second end). I've attached pictures for both options to make it easier to understand.

Honestly, I prefer the L-shaped option because I think it would offer fish more hiding places and different water levels. But I don't know whether such an aquarium shape would be good for cichlids.
I'm open to suggestions and improvements.

Respectfully
Reinis

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Both would work and the L shaped would look amazing. However the 4' deep end would be difficult to maintain.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Longer is better. I think the fish would view the upper level as a shelf and all of them would want the lower level, but hard to predict.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh, that's a good point... I didn't thought that they would see the upper level as a shelf. Now i'm thinking that an L-shaped aquarium isn't the best idea.

Thank you both!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.