Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have things more finalized now with tank size and what fish I would like. Looks like I am more than likely going to have a standard 75 gallon tank and I am wondering which of these 3 combos would be most likely to work without too much death and destruction:

1. Mbuna tank with L. caeruleus, P. acei Ngara, Rusties, and P. Williamsi North;

2. Mixed tank with L. caeruleus, P. acei Ngara and something like the Protomelas steveni Taiwan Reef or one of the peacocks;

OR

3. Male peacock/hap tank - haven't looked too much into appropriate species for my size tank here yet so suggestions welcome.

With any of the 3 combos I will put in a bristle nose pleco and either a group of Synodontis lucipinnis or 1 Synodontis decorus.

I have researched a good bit on profiles, etc. and just want to try to get things narrowed down a bit based on other people's experiences, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
decorus is a bad idea.
I had 1 with my Dubs & they nipped all his fins off. :lol:
so I put him in my Frontosa tank & all his fins & trailers grew back. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What are looking for as far as a viewing experience? If you want to see natural breeding behavior, then go with a mbuna setup. For a 75, go with 3 species, maybe 6-8 individuals of each. If you want a display tank with flashy colors to catch the eyes of guests, then go with the all male setup. I'd say 10-12 individuals, none that get over 6". I know that some folks have done mix and match tanks with success as well, like a male tank with a group of Yellow Labs, this is just my 2 cents to help you decide based on what you want. Good Luck! :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts