Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im stuck between what stones / rock for my tang setup. What would be the natural route, cobbles etc or ocean rock or could it be either as the lake is rather large.
I just wanted to see what everyone else is using? Im looking to keep comps mainly so what would be natural for them? cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rocks are rocks. Pile them up, and let the fish make of them what they will. After all, in the lake, the rock piles aren't put there by design, they're where they are by chance. Doesn't bother the fish any.

Limestone works well if only because it adds some small buffering that inert rock doesn't.

My only advice is to avoid sharp pointy rocks.

A personal trick I use is to put a thin sheet of styrofoam under the rockpile. Makes the pile more stable, and reduces pressure points on the glass.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i see what your saying wei fun. I just wanted more of a biotope. Ebjdftw, the holey rock is what i meant. We call it ocean rock over here. cheers

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
From the pics I have seen of Lake Tanganyika, I think the rocks tend to be rounded by water. So I would say river rocks.

As to mineral content, I have seen basalt mentioned. But the lake rocks seem to be covered by so much "stuff" that maybe that does not matter. To me river rocks come the closest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why is holey rock so popular then, because it looks more marine type?

dj- I have quite a few of the rounded rocks that i was thinking of using but as above i wouldnt mind a change as the holey does look good.
I take it the sand in the lake wouldnt be coral sand either, just normal sand?
what do you use in your tanks?
cheers

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
bullit said:
why is holey rock so popular then, because it looks more marine type?
People think it looks cool. It has holes to form caves. And it is limestone to help with buffering.

I still like river rocks...less chance of injury. But it's a personal preference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers guys. I had in my head because the fish are african and colourful their habitat would be more marine looking plus in local fish shops there always with ocean rocks. I suppose the words ocean and lake give it away, haha. Im watching a few vids on youtube for ideas but im still thinking ocean rock myself just for a change of scenery as i used a number of stones and rocks in my american tanks.

pomi- your tanks look the dogs danglies (thats awesome btw) lol. cheers

·
Registered
189 Posts
pomi said:
Definatelly go with river rocks, if you want a natural look.
Hi, just had a look at your youtube links, lovely tanks :thumb:
I sourced similiar looking rock to what you have there from an aggragate yard, I spent ages picking stuff out and got a nice bundle, then the guy there tells me I can't use it in a fish tank as it has to high a lime content in it ? Does this sound right ? The only thingI could think of was it raising the pH and hardening the water a bit more which with Tanganyikan I thought would be a good thing :roll:
Any thoughts on this ? :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Limestone and hardening the water is a good thing for Africans. It's a bad thing for a lot of other tropicals so you hear/read this advice a lot. :thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, im gonna be going with river rock style. Quick unrelated question though. I might put some of my shellies in there. Will these be ok with a bristlenose plec or will the plec be trying to get their eggs and fry etc. Im having a clearout of fish tomoz so dont know whether to keep it or not? cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
I cant answer the question about the plec's, but I will help with the rocks. The best place to get those river rocks and bolders are a local landscape rock place. Very cheap and you dont have to worry about parasites or any polutants that you can get taking them from an actual river or lake. Also if you set up a Tang tank. Go with sand. Cant go wrong with sand. You never know when you may decide to expand to other tangs who can only thrive in sand. And it looks more natural. Go to a pool place and get filter sand. Easy to clean and very cheap.

·
Registered
374 Posts
bullit said:
Right, im gonna be going with river rock style. Quick unrelated question though. I might put some of my shellies in there. Will these be ok with a bristlenose plec or will the plec be trying to get their eggs and fry etc. Im having a clearout of fish tomoz so dont know whether to keep it or not? cheers
"When in doubt, leave it out" :)

I have had mild-mannered BNs that stayed out of the way and minded their own business, and I had one that got into battles for a welk shell every single day with a calvus - I wound up having to remove the BN.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
My BN did not bother the shellies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
another quick question. I just tested my water for ph from my main tank that i will be setting up and my shellie tank. The main tank with normal sand is 7.4 ish and the shellie tank with coral sand is 7.8. The normal sand looks more natural but will the ph be higher enough or i just go with the coral sand? cheers

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
pH=7.8 is a little better for your shellies.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I live along a relativelly clean river and have access to all kinds of river rocks. I like to build rockpiles cemented together with aquarium sealant to form caves and tunnels that will not topple over. Then I place a few sprigs of java moss on them. My tangs act like they are in heaven and I can stock heavily and there is room for everyone. That is an exageration, of course but relatively speaking is true.

You can create any appearance you choose. Of course it all depends what you are looking for. Many use pvc pipes and flower pots. I like a natural appearance and though THE lake doesn't have weeds the java moss looks good and provides a home for teeny foods when your fish spawn.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers dj. i presumed that so went ahead. I finished filling the tank up last night so will get some pics up tonight or tomoz. Im quite happy with it, *** just got to decide on stock. Maybe the layout will help when you see it.

Sounds good lestango. I was considering adding a little java moss for those reasons. cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts