Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 gal bow with 4 saulosi, 3 rusties, and 3 maingano. I have beyond adequate filtration and over 100 pounds of Texas Holey rock that I collected myself in Texas. Plenty of area for small territories. I need new color to the mix any ideas. I thought maybe Cobalt blue Zebra, but am open to any ideas from the good folks on here. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Three species is plenty for a 72G bowfront, but I would add females to each group. I like a ratio of 1m:4f.

If you want more variety then I would try for all-male and remove fish from your existing species. Options to add are anything from a genus other than Melanochromis that looks nothing like your existing fish. A yellow lab, an acei, Metriaclima callainos (cobalt) would be good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 on more females. I'd even consider going w/ 7-8 maingano (1m 6-7f).

I'm envious - free Holey Rock! Costs $3-4 lb around here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like my rusties but they lack color in my personal opinion. I considered giving these to my mom or brother who also have cichlids and replacing that group with another variety. Perhaps that will allow room for a bit more color. Now is there a preferred fish in this situation?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you're unsure as to what you can add to the maingano and saulosi after removing the rusties, I would check through the profile listings of mbuna and cross reference with what's available to you at your local fish store or online. Once you find a few you like, post here for an evaluation.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Socolofi. Metriaclima callainos. Perlmutt. Something like that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
With the maingano and saulosi you'll have the yellow & blue covered - How about
Metriaclima callainos Pearl for contrast?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
How about some type of OB species, like Labeotropheus Fuelleborni or Trewavasae?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts