Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Hope all is well. I am looking at getting a 75 gallon tank and stock it with mbunas. What is everyone using for tank material? I have seen the petsmart tanks with the regular glass. I have also seen acrylic tanks online along with low iron tanks. I don't mind spending the extra money but I am looking for something that fits my needs.

I do like the clarity aspect of Acrylic and low iron glass tanks.
I like the the durability of regular glass also. Not sure if low iron tanks are as durable as far as scratches goes.

Is acrylic that bad with scratches?

Also petsmart has a budget friendly 75 gallon with stand setup for 500 bucks. The stand concerns me though as it's rated for 900 pounds. The weight of 75 gallons of water plus the weight of the tank itself is heavy. Then the rocks I need to put in for the mbunas I will be nervous just putting my finger on the tank itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If 75 gallons of water weigh about 622 pounds. Plus another 120-140 of the glass tank itself. Then rocks and sand substrate we are looking at about 850 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Don't forgt that the rocks displace the water so you subtract xxx pounds because you don't count water and rocks twice.

I like the cost of "regular" glass and find acrylic scratches too easily...I manage to even scratch glass. I would buy Aqueon tank brand however, not Petsmart. Also with a set up bundle you may not get the quality filter you prefer, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For a 75 I'd get an over-the-counter Aqueon with regular glass.

Large tanks are often custom built and you can have the front panel of low iron glass. Acrylic is great for a bare bottom Discus display tank but I'd not use it for anything involving a substrate.

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. Here is what I was planning on getting. I want to stay away from the all in one kits as sometimes you have to spend money twice. This stand supposedly (link below)can handle 1500 pounds. The ensemble Aquariam combo tank and stand is on lower end of 900-1000 pound weight capacity which concerns me. I also want to get a glass lid to avoid evaporation and to maintain temperature better. The aqueon appears to have a glass lid for. 75 gallon on there website but doesn't look petco carries it. I'm also looking into lights to show off the mbunas once I bet them. I have been reading about fishless cycling to start preparing once I get the equipment. This site is great and has a lot of great information.

Any recommendations of filters or if I need power heads? I want to have minimal equipment showing in the tank. I was thinking of an fx4 or fx6. I plan on having about 15-18 mbunas overall.

Tank
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... -75-gallon

Stand
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... 10-cabinet

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I do not use power heads. Instead I get all my water movement with filtration. For a 75G I like 2 canisters (one can support the tank for a brief emergency period if one breaks) with total 8X to 10X GPH and I have used the API rena filstar XP filters for years.

I also have some eheim filters, but they are in storage...the XP filters are the ones I use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried looking up the canister filter you use but looks like they don't make them. Would two fx4 be good for a 75 gallon or would it be to much of a whirlpool? I would like to keep tank equipment out of the tank if possible. Appreciate all the help you have given me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts