Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta give one up, so your guys opinion, which male a.comp should I keep?
Sunset or Red Fin?
Sunset is essentially a yellow color with black tips on the fins. Stripes are barely visable.. Red fin i think you all know..
Thank you..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are taken on my cell phone, and these guys are really hard to catch! :p

Below is the "RedFin", he is more yellow than this and has more spots,but this was the best I could get.

Below is what they call "Sunset" never heard of this until I got this guy, and can't find a single picture of full grown. He is being dominated by the RedFin right now, so some of his color has left him. Full color his stripes are barely visable.

Sorry the last one is so blurry, autofocus doesn't agree with my aquarium all the time..

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would keep the "red fin" Are you sure its not a gold head variant though instead of a red fin?

I believe most "red fin" comps out there are from lufubu. Yours does not look like one to me :-?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At my LFS there was 2 shipments, Goldhead and RedFin, I saw this one in the redfin tank and had to have him. I guess it is possible they were mixed up, but the goldhead tank looked like goldheads. Plus, they are a very reputable store. (House of Tropicals)

Curious, why would you keep the redfin? I am quite fond of my sunset, and so is my girlfriend (She adamatly wants to keep him). I could go either way because I think they are both very beautiful. I really wish I could find a pic of an adult sunset!!!

Anyone even heard of sunset?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I would keep the "Red fin". Even if he doesn't get red fins, he wll have nice striping. Your second pic loks like a Goldhead to me, never heard of a "Sunset". I, personally, am not a fan of Goldheads. They have drab coloring to me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
dude if its that close of a toss up...go with your GF and keep the sunset...plus if he is somewhat more docile - you can probably keep him in a community setting easier than the RF. when all else fails - make the GF happy...pays dividends in the long run.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
baitfish2000 said:
dude if its that close of a toss up...go with your GF and keep the sunset...plus if he is somewhat more docile - you can probably keep him in a community setting easier than the RF. when all else fails - make the GF happy...pays dividends in the long run.
Love the reasoning!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is actually alot more docile. So it is set.. The GF wins.. I will keep the sunset and take pictures and post them to as many places as possible, so there is A PICTURE OF THESE GUYS!! :D Thank you guys for you input

Maybe this should be another thread, but what is everybody's favorite alto color?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm pretty sure "Sunset" is your LFs' way of saying "Yellow Comp" A "gold head" aka "Gold Face" has only gold on it's head/face. I would only keep the red fin if it were wild or you had pics of mom and dad because It's REALLY tough to find Real red fins out there. But it happens...

That being said, trade the red fin off to someone you know, use the newly won GF leverage to buy another tank and "trade" your friend for your red fin back.

Or trade in your GF and Buy as many tanks as you want! :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha!! BioG

Oh the tanks I would have!!

I traded him back to my LFS for 2 female occies. My male occies don't know what female companionship is like, so..... They had 2 pairs of WC altos that I wanted SOOOO bad!! a Pair of absolutely gorgeous black ones, and some red fin that were HUGE! I really really really want a trio of black ones, with pearly stripes! soo beautiful.

As for the Sunset, yes he is mostly just gold. His stripes are barely visible unless stressed. When he shows off they aren't visible, so I think he might be a very beautiful fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts