111.54%
2812.31%
31015.38%
44670.77%

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Which do you think looks nicer and shows off mbunas colors better, such as yellow labs, red zebras, cobalt blues, socolofi...
1.) Blue background, black sand
2.) Blue background, light sand
3,) Black background, black sand
4.) Black background, light sand

·
Registered
561 Posts
I vote for number four. A black background gives the colors something to stand out against. I think a light color substrate works better because the light from the hood will reflect off of it better and light up the fish a bit from below as well.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i would say number 2.

I have a blue background on my tank, but with light colored gravel. But with light sand it would look a lot better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be more conserned about the sand, because I can just change the background very easily. Does anyone have any pictures of some of the above choices?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
That's what I did when I was trying to decide. I looked at the "Your tanks" section. You'll see every possible combination there lol. I went with black background and light colored gravel (partly because light colored was what I had lol). Some time I'd like to try a smaller tank with black background and black sand too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah my tank is 4, except crushed coral not sand. My mom (im in HS so i live with my parents) says she would like to see a blue background better, and the background is one side black and one blue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the poll i went against all advice and kept the crushed coral but switched the background to blue. Its extremely dark blue so its not a huge change

·
Registered
184 Posts
I choose option 4. ;-)

I have a black background with white/tan/black sand (african cichlid safari sand http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/cichlid.html). (there is a picture up in the My Tanks section).

I definitely prefer a black background (my fry tank has a blue background and I don't like it as much) because the fish really stand out. Additionally, the algae growing on the back of the tank looks really cool/natural against the black and not so nice against the blue.

I think black sand with a black backround looks very dark... I like my multi-colored sand because it's not so light that it looks "dirty." (White sand doesn't stay white for long!)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like #4 it's what I use and am very happy...

here is my tank...

[/img]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts