Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I choose the best lighting system for my aquarium, I am actually a novice when it comes to fishes, because this is my first time to pet. Do brightness and spectrum has to do with the fishes on the tank? I am not sure which type of lighting should be placed, I heard that improper lighting produces algae, and it will affect fishes' health, right? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
maive99 said:
I heard that improper lighting produces algae, and it will affect fishes' health, right? Any suggestions?
false, and false. Buying a bulb that is the wrong spectrum for a fish tank without live plants will only annoy the owner of the tank, not the inhabitants. My advice is to visit a good local fish store and simply ask them to demonstrate bulbs. They often have some on their tanks they can use as an example. :thumb:

Your other option is to go cheap and cross fingers that you like the look. Home depot and other places sell daylight bulbs. These are bright lights that try to mimic sunlight. Usually produces a good look to the fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try taking a look at LED or cold cathode lighting, they are cheaper than most flourecent bulb setups and they come is a lot of different colors. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts