Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 55gal African cichlid tank. I was looking at marinelands led fixtures, which would be better? The double bright or the single bright unit? I was gonna get the 36-48" unit they have. Thanks any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
509 Posts
For a 55g I would get the double bright.

I have double brights on my 100g and single brights on my 20g long and a 10g tank.

·
Registered
320 Posts
dotbomb said:
For a 55g I would get the double bright.

I have double brights on my 100g and single brights on my 20g long and a 10g tank.
I agree two 24" double brights should do the trick.

I just bought two 36" models for my 125 gallon.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have the 36" double brights and it was plenty bright enough for me on my 55g, now its on my 75g, and it is still ok for me. I dont mind have a little light falling off on the ends though. On a 55g though I would think that is all you would need.

Gives that great shimmer effect and nice white lighting too. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You dont have to replace the bulbs, uses alot less power so cheaper to run, and plus I like how sleek this unit is. the entire thing is only about 1 inch thick.

With the others it is recommended to replace the bulbs about once a year and that can get to be quite pricey depending on the bulbs you use. Heard of excess algae growth if you dont change them since the light spectrum seems to change over time.

I think the DB 36" only uses something like 20 or less watts where each florescent bulb usually uses at least that or double + if it is a HO unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I've never seen either in use. Just in the box on the shelf. I wasn't sure if the double bright one would be too bright?

·
Registered
509 Posts
fishnick2401 said:
Thanks, I've never seen either in use. Just in the box on the shelf. I wasn't sure if the double bright one would be too bright?
I would suggest the double brights. 2x 24" would be nice for a 48" long tank. I actually run 2x 24" on my 5' long tank and it is nice and bright but not too bright.

If you do find they are too bright for you just cover a few leds with black tape and problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts