Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting a 20Long set up this weekend by some act of faith my g/f agreed to another tank so acting fast haha and just curious what everyones favorite shellie? it is going to a species only tank so few rocks and lots of open sand i do have multis so somthing besides them :thumb:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Brevis, more active than many shellies. Easy to pair up and breed. Small territory requirements. I'd toss in a dozen juvies to start. You should get a few pairs going in there.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Brevis are hard not to get along with, I love the yellow bellied variant. I love Similis too (As opposed to to multis). I also think stapps are great looking and I love the motorboat tail thing they do to dig fast. Oh and I always wanted some Calliurus!

Maybe I just like all of them! :lol:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Calliurus might become my favorite if I could ever get my hands on them. They look like giant brevis. I just saw some WC on a list for $72 each. :eek: Had to pass, too rich for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Multifasciatus will fill your tank up with a nice colony in no time, very entertaining :thumb:
Kunweensis are lovely and very active, but if you're after something a bit different try and source some Sumbu shell if you can, --- Altolamprologus compressiceps (Sumbu) , very shy but very nice :fish:

·
Registered
185 Posts
punks are not shellies..
i love them though, have them in my tank.
Punks are very small.. Probably the smallest tang *** ever seen.. You could have quite a few in a 20g I would imagine.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My personal favourites are multies and I've had pretty much every shelldweller. Aside from multies I guess I'd have to vote for a Telmatochromis species. T. temporalis "shell" would make a good fish for a 20 long!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know punks arnt shellies but they still caught my eye none the less lol and multis already have some in my 75g :fish: but i have a guy that say he has some L. minutus said it was a variant of the brevis but cant seem to find much about them sept there not sure what there classified as seen them in person when i got my multis from here there pretty cool lookn i thought anyone have info on them?

found this N. sp. "Minuta" or "Minuta brevis"

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
t. temporalis 'shell' are one of my favorite of all time tanganyikans, but mine have never behaved like true 'shellies', so didn't vote for them. Juvies will duck into shells occasionally, but that's about it. My adults don't even use them to spawn. Great fish though. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
prov356 said:
t. temporalis 'shell' are one of my favorite of all time tanganyikans, but mine have never behaved like true 'shellies', so didn't vote for them. Juvies will duck into shells occasionally, but that's about it. My adults don't even use them to spawn. Great fish though. :thumb:
Similar to caudopunks, telmats are facultative shell spawning fish.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Similar to caudopunks, telmats are facultative shell spawning fish.
That's what I've heard, but mine have always preferred to dig out around and under rocks, and that's where they spawn. I could take the shells out for what little attention they pay to them. Now, my caudopunks won't spawn in rocks, only shells. They got the memo. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Frazee86 said:
i know punks arnt shellies but they still caught my eye none the less lol and multis already have some in my 75g :fish: but i have a guy that say he has some L. minutus said it was a variant of the brevis but cant seem to find much about them sept there not sure what there classified as seen them in person when i got my multis from here there pretty cool lookn i thought anyone have info on them?

found this N. sp. "Minuta" or "Minuta brevis"
Frazee, there is some debate over whether minutus is a new species or a geographical variant of brevis, but in any case they are supposed to be the smallest tang, maximum size- 3/4 of an inch. I

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
must be a long debate think earliest post i seen was like 2006 about them not being brevis or there own species haha may try those dont see many ppl with them

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also got some free time today so goin to set up the tank but the sand have to find some haha but will be taking pictures of the rocks see what ya guys think

1 - 20 of 39 Posts