Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what filters to buy. This will be our first time with African Cichlids (have raised other tropical fish in 10 gallon tanks and smaller in the past) and we are trying to determine which two filters would be best (less maintence, easy to use) for our new 55 gallon tank. We are contemplating either the Aquaclear 70 or the Perfect Canister Filter HW-302 sold on ebay. We will be using two filters and will buy two of one model or one of each, whichever is better. We will be stocking the tank eventually with African Cichlid Malawis. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wouldn't get the Perfect Canister off of ebay. Don't go cheap on a canister the last thing you want is a leak canister filter in your living room lol. I'd save a little more and get an Eheim classic 2217 or a Rena Filstar XP 2 or 3. One of those paired with an AC 110 or 70 would be a good combo. I've had good luck with the emperor/penguin filters from Marineland also but love the sponge setup that the AC's use. I have several of both just depends which one has the better sale at the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would do an Aquaclear 70 and a Rena Filstar XP 2 or 3 or just a Rena Filstar XP 3 with an air pump. Changing the Rena once a month or every 3 weeks depending on how heavy you stock your tank. My dad has had problems with his Aquaclear filter but they are a better one in my opinion along with your previous Marineland filters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Eheim classic 2217 is what I run on my 55 gallon. It is awesome! Quiet, powerful flow, low maintenance (had mine up 2 months, nothing yet). Set up is a bit tedious if this is your first canister (and the directions suck), but it is a great canister.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts