Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to choose a catfish (dont want to go pleco) for my 150 SA tank. Oscar, Chocolate, 2 Keyholes.

Im thinking Pictus. Good activity, cool looking, not a tank buster.

What other suggestions do you guys have? I would like to stick with SA please.

Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Spotted and Striped Raphael Catfish are good choices although they may be too small at first to go directly in that group.
I was just checking out some on line dealers for some wild little Red Betta species I want but I'm also a wild Discus and pleco breeder.
I happened to notice that wetspotcx has both in stock. It is rare to see both in stock at the same place. I bought a about 150 small Tetras and Pencilfish from them two months ago and had them ship via USPS Express Mail and 100% of my fish arrived alive and well. They did a very good job in packing the fish.

Pimelodus pictus catfish would probably do well also. I would buy at least four but six would be better as these are a shoaling species of catfish. The Raphael cats are pretty but they hide about as much as most plecos. You always see a group of Pictus front and center. I would probably get them.
They aren't heavily armored as Raphael cats but they still pack quite a sting for any fish dumb enough to try to eat one. Avoid getting stung when you have to untangle their spines from a net. Their sting really hurts.
If your Key Hole Cichlids and Oscar are getting along then so should the Pictus cats.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
apistomaster said:
I was just checking out some on line dealers for some wild little Red Betta species I want ...
B. rutilans perchance?

It is odd that they have both raphaels, when I worked at a pet store first one would be available, then the other one .... never both at the same time.

Ordering striped raphaels might score you a long nosed raphael ... they are more social and outgoing than the normal ones.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Both are tank raised so I think they are the regular striped Rahael Cats.
Not looking for Betta rutilans. They are much easier to find and cheaper than Betta burigdala.
B. burdigala is one of the rarest of the little red Bettas and among the most beautiful.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Yeah, if they are tank/pond raised they are probably the normal ones. I've only seen two of the long nosed before mixed in with them anyway. I love contaminants in catches.

Wooosh!!! That is one beautiful wild betta. Never had even heard of it before. I hope you find them, so I can buy some from you when you breed them *lol*

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have raised 100's of the Thai Betta imbellis and B. sp Mahachai and I have a trio of B. smaragdina coming.
But I have had nothing but failures with B. coccina, B. rutilans but B. burgdala is too rare to pass up unless they don't have enough to send some of both sexes. All the little red Bettas are about the same level of difficulty to propagate.
I wanted to practice on B. coccina but I was only able to get two small specimens. I haven't been able to tell if I have a pair or not yet but it looks fairly likely I did get a pair.
It would be nice if I managed to raise enough to have some to spread around.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i went to look at fish yesterdfay and low and behold, 3 small striped raphael cats. picked one up and so far so good. very sharp looking.

hides constantly, but im ok with that. they also had pictus cats, but i dont want a group as i already have a group of brochis and they are plenty entertaining.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and info!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Sorry we branched off ... I'm a closet labyrinth fish fan. :lol:

Striped raph's are very sharp looking I always thought, so the hiding didn't really bother me. The few times you did notice them were always great.

G

·
a small raphael imo will do fine in a south american tank. they start off very small and they get big quick.. they actually get really fat and pudgy they look pregnant.. i had a spotted raphael in my south american/central american tank and it would just hide all the time wouldnt even come out when id feed like the striped ones would. it would wedge itself into any cave or ornament it could find and wouldnt come out at all for anything... i would take it out of water and it would just stay there not flop or anything.. they are stubborn and pretty stupid if you ask me.. i had to take this big cave ornament and put it in my friends tank for 2 days before it came out at night and hid somewhere else... his tank looked rediculous with the ornament all the way to the top almost poking out of the water on top of the other stuff in his tank. be careful thou cuz i made the mistake of growing out a small raphael in my tropical community tank and it ate a bunch of my fish and i only know this cuz i caught it with a tail hangin out its mouth and i coudlnt even tell which fish it was.. explains why fish kept disappearing in the tank thou. anyways i gave him away when i got rid of my sa/ca cichlids

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no problem dwarfpike. i liked reading your tangent!
so far so good. its kind of interesting to watch this guy. my other fish, especially the keyholes, hang around him alot. they like to stay in the same spot and kind of hang with him.\

either way, its going well so far.

whats the best way/food/time/etc to feed? i have read after the tank lights go out but i want him to get his food. bloodworms?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello ! I have a beautiful breeding group of green Severums, along with a few albino bushynose plecos. I added 2 striped Raphaels catfish awhile back. My severums have spawned several times, & lost their eggs. Are the striped raphaels responsible for eating the eggs? If so, out they go! Can the striped raphaels be put in my more alkaline tank with my frontosas? thanks!

G

·
yes i have spotted and striped raphaels in with my africans.. just slowly acclimate them.. with a cup of the new water every 5 minutes for an hour or 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts