Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've kept CA cichlids for years but decided I wanted to go African this go around due to the water parameters at the new house. (ph 8, gh 250, kh 180ish) I'm down to a 55 gal while I wait for my 90 to cycle.

I found a few local guys that are selling fry/juvy mbuna. I already picked up some (8) Rusty cichlids and the guy tossed in an OB zebra as a lark. I am getting some Yellow Labs, probably another 8, here in the next few days. Now heres the question. Guy number 1 has Cobalt Blue Zebra that I can get another 8 of. Guy number 2 has Pindani (Pseudotropheus socolofi) that I can also get 8 of. I figure getting 8 a piece as youngsters will allow them to grow up together and I can take out males and end up with a 1m to however many females I end up with of each species.

So it really comes down to whether the Cobalt or the Pindani are more aggressive than the other. I mean, Yellow Lab and Rusties are pretty mellow as far as mbuna go from what I hear. Is one going to fit the tank better than the other?

I know mbuna need a bunch of their own but that OB Zebra is a bit of a jerk by itself. Is that what the Cobalts would be like?

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
I would call the OB zebra (Metriaclima) your 2nd species or rehome. I like socolofi for their dorsal stripe and elongated shape. Socolofi would give you a third genus. The blue on the cobalt (also Metriaclima) is a little more intense and this is a blocky fish. Choose cobalt or OB but not both.

Either will work in a 55G and cobalt and socolofi are about even aggression-wise I would say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJ. I don't really intend to keep the OB. Maybe my LFS will give me a buck off of a bristlenose or something in trade.

Just to make sure, this is a OB zebra (Metriaclima) right? I read somewhere that the red zebra and the yellow labs will get it on and produce cranky hybrid offspring. I don't need to worry about that with the pandini or rusty, especially if I give them plenty of their own kind... right?

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have 4 cobalt Blue. Two of them are not nearly as docile as all of my rusties or yellows. Two of my blues are quiet and more of a purple and the two bosses are gorgeous, big, and a bright baby blue, stunning fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
Any lone male in a tank with females of other mbuna species will spawn with other females. Yes that is OB zebra. Yes even with plenty of their own kind they will spawn with yellow labs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rehome or to the lfs it goes then. No need for loner tank drama when it can be helped.

I think I'll end up with the Pindani. I think the similar black markings to the yellow labs will look good as well.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.