Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I narrowed done my tank type to mbuna or haps. Right now I have a 125 with sand substrate and nothing else in it.

I am really having a hard time deciding if I should go with mbuna or haps. I haven't really come across a deal breaker either way but here is my pro/con list:

1. Main reason to go with Haps is that I prefer not to have half of my tank filled with rocks. I like fish and plants.

2. Main reason to go with mbuna - male and female have pretty colors and you can have more of them in a tank.

Any good arguments either way?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You've pretty much nailed the dilemna I' say. :D Note that there are a lot of mbuna species where the females are drab also. I think one tank of each is the eventual solution :D (you'll just have to decide which you want first).

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think one tank of each is the eventual solution (you'll just have to decide which you want first).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are after pretty colours then you will never go wrong with an all male Hap tank. The mixtures and assortment of colours is endless and can be amazing

True most mbuna do have nice colours but are mainly limited to blues, yellows and some reds, purples, browns and a few others.
I think the best part of keeping mbuna is the breeding potential of 3 or 4 different species in the one tank (without hybridization).
The best part of keeping haps is the colour and the size of these fish

Either way, both are very interesting types of fish that you will enjoy keeping :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
People also say that mbuna are more active and haps are more sedate. So activity level could be a factor if you have a preference.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
You also have to think about the numbers game also. You can put more mbuna in a tank than haps. It also takes awhile for some of the larger haps to get to size.

Haps colors are different. You won't find them anywhere in mbuna and they just seem to have more pop to them.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If I had a nice big tank like yours I would definitely go with male haps, although I'd do some rock and no plants, which significantly reduces the hassle factor.

Some ones you MUST have:

Red Empress
Taiwan Reef
Albino Taiwan Reef
Otopharynx Lithobates
Copadichromis Mloto Ivory head

And some synos, of course.

and maybe 5 p. acei, too
and maybe 5 really nice labs . . .

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think Hollyfish2000 has hit the nail in the head :D

Keep that in mind when making your choice, there are a few mbuna that mix really well with haps that will breed stress free. Acei and Yellow labs are classic examples

·
Registered
355 Posts
If your gonna do all male, you can have peacocks in with Hpas and mbuna too! for even more color. Thats what I have in my 55 right now and they will be getting a bigger tank soon (probably a 150).
The color is already awesome and most of my fish are still small!

·
Registered
108 Posts
chapman76 said:
You also have to think about the numbers game also. You can put more mbuna in a tank than haps. It also takes awhile for some of the larger haps to get to size.

Haps colors are different. You won't find them anywhere in mbuna and they just seem to have more pop to them.
Don't really understand what you meant. Do you mean that the mbuna takes longer to get bigger compare to the Haps?

In gerneral, are the Mbuna smaller than the Haps and the Peacocks?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Personally, I'd do a mixed tank.

I like to keep a couple dwarf mbuna species with my Copadichromis species. You'll get some of both worlds and you have the space.

Dietary needs really won't be a problem if you go with some Cynotilapia and Copadichromis - both are open water feeders (Cyno's do also feed from the biocover but are known plankton lovers).

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Bigger.In some cases much bigger.

Your average hap, full grown start from about 5" and some will grow much larger then that, whilst your average mbuna will stop growing at about 5", some a couple of inches sorter, some 1 or 2 inch more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
css virginia said:
......This could lead to...M.T.S. .....yikes..!!... :eek:
I'm having the same delima - all male hap/peacock tank, frontosa, mbuma... hmmm :-? what should I do...?

In January of 2008 I had 1 55 gallon tank in our living room and 1 20 gallon downstairs... now in June 2008 I have 20 tanks ranging in size from 10 gallons to my largest at 135 gallons.

Now these are not all completely set up at this current time, but there is a fish room in the planning construction stage... MTS gone mad :D Now I have a tank for the fronts, the male peacock/hap tank and the mbumas... so my answer to boardatwork's delima is to just buy some more fish tanks... good luck!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts