Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello as the title says, i was wondering where is a good place to get slate tiles. is it okay if the have that square pattern that tiles usually have on the bottom of it? is there anything i need to be careful of before buying slate tiles?

sorry for so many questions, any and all help is great!
thanks, pumh

·
Registered
40 Posts
real slate tiles shouldnt have those squares since they are cut from slate as opposed to formed from clay glazed and fired. Look for real slate at Lowes, Home Depot, Sutherlands?? (possibly local to me) or try and find a flooring specialty store :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I got mine at home depot and the bottom had ridges cut into them but no squares.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had purchased about 8 of these tiles at Lowe's. I hammered(broke) them into the shapes I wanted and filed(scraped on concrete) to prevent them from scratching my glass. After a lot of re-organizing to prevent the "Flintstones" look i got smart...

Look up a place that sells stone, gravel, etc and ask if they have slate. If they are nice they will let you dig for smaller pieces in their pallets. You may have to dig but i got the $1.99-$2.99 LFS slate for $.20 per lb.

Looks AMAZING! Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to a local granite/marble countertop shop near my house and they had a pile of cut offs out back. I told the owner what I was doing and he gave me permission to pick out of the pile for free.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try buying at a landscaping place or a dealer of rocks for building/landscaping.

I have found that after the first purchase, when I go back for more, the little old fella' that works the yard will just give me scraps if I just need a few pieces. Also, pre-cut pieces, such as those used for pathways, are far more expensive than just big irregular pieces. Slate is quite easy to break/form to your desired shapes. Just be wary of cutting your self with shards and wear protective eyewear when working with it. I always use a piece of harder stone to soften the edges when using flat rocks such as slate/sandstone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts